Friends new into cycling

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Got a couple of friends I have (or my bike has) inspired to get into cycling. One friends only recently took it up, and is patronising as fuck. He doesn't have a clue, yet the moment he engages something new he thinks he knows it all. Anyone had any similar experiences of such?

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Well, the first time you ride together he'll no doubt be humbled? Sounds like a tosser though so not sure why you'd bother!
  • Gabbo
    Well, the first time you ride together he'll no doubt be humbled? Sounds like a tosser though so not sure why you'd bother!

It's the second time we've rode together. First time he acted like an amateur, this time he acts like a pro (without the performance). Yet I left him for dead on every hill, and he still doesn't learn. Not going to bother. Going to join a club to improve my own performance, fitness, strength and whatnot.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Yeh, not the company you want. It's nice when you ride with someone who is keen to learn and wants to soak up the way of things but no fun with with someone who just doesn't get it.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Gabbo wrote:
    Got a couple of friends I have (or my bike has) inspired to get into cycling. One friends only recently took it up, and is patronising as fark. He doesn't have a clue, yet the moment he engages something new he thinks he knows it all. Anyone had any similar experiences of such?

Refer him to this forum, he'll be totally at home.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    I would steer clear of riding with them 'cos sooner or later they come off and you'll end up on the deck as a direct result.

Report back in six months. By then you'll have a rough idea as to whether or not they are in it for the long run. Say we going to to a hundred miler next weekend, do a local loop of about 20 miles long and see who packs first.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Tell him Triathlon is fantastic ... he'll then embarrass you by riding in a sleeveless vest.
  • Gabbo
    JGSI wrote:
    Tell him Triathlon is fantastic ... he'll then embarrass you by riding in a sleeveless vest.

He actually want's to be a tri-athlete. Good luck to him. He's not been involved with demanding physical exercise for long in his life and still believes there are secret ingredients towards success. He spends a fortune on supplements too. Even going through a very regular route of mine today, he was convinced that I was taking the wrong route to get to a particular destination?!! I mean, what?! I've taken this route about 100 odd times!

Jesus, no one else have friends of such?
  • Is he the sort that always has to do double or quadruple everyone else does?

If so, tell him you eat some prunes, figs, and orange juice half hour before a ride for an extra energy burst... Just don't let him get in front of you.