Good starter racer for my boy?

ohteddy
ohteddy Posts: 11
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I'd appreciate some advice as I go web-blind switching between second-hand and new racers for my 15-year-old. He fancies a Dawes giro 200 - any thoughts on this - or are we better looking for something secondhand on Bikeshd? Don't want to pay more than £300 as he got a few more inches to grow yet.

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    The Giro 200 didn't get the best of reviews here a few years back. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, have you considered the B'Twin Triban 3? Given the good reviews it's been getting, there might be a good second-hand market for them when he needs to get something bigger.
  • again broken record here, i owned a triban 3 you really cant go wrong with it. If you want to grab a real bargain look for 1 on ebay/gumtree and spend what you save on kit.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Having read the spec for the Dawes properly, I would avoid it if I were you. It's got downtube shifters, for a start, which I can't imagine being great for someone starting out.
  • +1 for the Triban 3 ... never owned one but spec wise its got to be a contender. Ive researched lots as a fanatical beginner and it 'always' gets positive comments
  • lc1981 wrote:
    Having read the spec for the Dawes properly, I would avoid it if I were you. It's got downtube shifters, for a start, which I can't imagine being great for someone starting out.

Downtube shifters are a pain in the @rse. Having to literally find your gears when you're learning can cause wobbles, perticuarly as he'll have instances where he'll need to look down at them on occasion - checking to see what gear he's in, trying to find where they are when he can't quite put his hand on them etc.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com