SPOTY (sports personality)

james-m-h
james-m-h Posts: 85
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Hmmmm who will get S.P.O.T.Y this year?
Andy Murray, Bradly Wiggins, Jessica Ennis, Ellie Simmons, mo Farah, sir Chris Hoy, Sarah story, David Weir, Katherine Granger, Rory McIlroy, Ben Ainslie or Nicola Adams. Tough year to choose from, it can't be a sole Olympian though cause they've all done amazingly so it'd be mean to choose just one so that leaves Wiggo, Murray or McIlroy. with that said Its got to be Wiggo then.. (discuss I'm expecting a very biased view here)
road- Trek 1000
XC trail anthem X4
school and shops- orange P7 single speed

Comments

• lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    What does it have to with personality?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Probably Wiggo. Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah are not completely out of the running (as it were), Andy Murray has a long shot:

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sport ... ear/winner
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    RDW wrote:
    Probably Wiggo. Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah are not completely out of the running (as it were), Andy Murray has a long shot:

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sport ... ear/winner

andy murry a long shot?? hes got the entire scottish vote.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Wiggins or Murray. Purely because they have done something for the first time ever / first time in umpteen years. Several worthy winners in the nominees though, most of whom would walk it any other year.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Wiggins or Ennis.

However I think it'll be closer than most people think - there's three cyclists this year, which may split the voting somewhat, versus the population of Sheffield,
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What does it have to with personality?

Nothing.

'Personality' just sounds better than 'person', and most sporties don't understand that there is a difference.

The older I get, the better I was.

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Well done Wiggo. Did fine in the interviews too. Always a bit worrying when he gets passed the mic! Good show this year i thought. Nothing patronising or cheesey.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Excellent show this year and a worthy winner from a worthy group of nominees.

Plus, Kate Middleton, Victoria Pendleton and Jessica Ennis practically standing next to one another......need to go for a lie down :oops:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Crescent wrote:

Plus, Kate Middleton, Victoria Pendleton and Jessica Ennis practically standing next to one another......need to go for a lie down :oops:
    If I'd have been stood where Duncan Goodhew was I'd have had all on not to pinch Kates @rse. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Crescent wrote:

If I'd have been stood where Duncan Goodhew was I'd have had all on not to pinch Kates @rse. :lol:

I reckon Beckham was having trouble keeping his hands to himself :) I thought he and Kate looked good together, a REAL Posh and Becks :D

Well done Wiggo!
  • capt_slog
    I watched "Jumper" for most of the time SPOTY was on, with teenage son swapping the channels back to see how thing were getting along every now and then. It looked like the BBC's usual "20 minutes of entertainment packed into three hours", but then I have zero interest in sport.

I did like the look on Andy Murray's face though, when he got third place. Didn't he look thrilled? And I managed to catch two of Wiggo's spots on stage and thought he conducted himself well.

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I did like the look on Andy Murray's face though, when he got third place.

That's all the information I need to fire up iPlayer.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Morbid Murray's face was awesome.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    symo wrote:
    Morbid Murray's face was awesome.
    I thought he handled it fairly well considering that the boxer (Lennox?) didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Well done Brad, and an excellent speech!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • It veered between inspiring - Hoy and Redgrave killing themselves in training, Weir for just being an animal - and utter tosh - mainly from the footballists.

Otherwise, my condensed thoughts;
    Ennis looks great in heels and a dress, Balding apparently can't stand in anything other than sensible shoes, Linekar is in fact the lovechild of Bob Monkhouse and Dale Winton, Beckham can read an autocue if it's going really slowly and spelled phonetically, perennial blubber Pendleton looked lovely on the verge of tears, Sue Barker needs another coat of varnish before the winter really sets in.

Wiggins was a bit of a let down, I was hoping for some choice old English, before groping Barker, kicking Linekar in the nuts, then tipping the rostrum over and picking a fight with Cavendish. As it was, he appeared in an Austin Powers suit, said nice things about everyone, mostly, and was generally a self effacing good egg.

Special mention must go to Darth Brailsford, for mentioning the Dark Side 46 times in 2 minutes.
  • Well said - not normally into these programmes, but, actually watched and enjoyed - another cynic converted
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Well said - not normally into these programmes, but, actually watched and enjoyed - another cynic converted

If a golfist or a pigeon-fancier won would it still be as entertaining?
  • capt_slog
    GiantMike wrote:
    Well said - not normally into these programmes, but, actually watched and enjoyed - another cynic converted

If a golfist or a pigeon-fancier won would it still be as entertaining?

No, but it would be preferable to a Beckham or Zara Philips getting it.

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    james-m-h wrote:
    Hmmmm who will get S.P.O.T.Y this year?
    Andy Murray, Bradly Wiggins, Jessica Ennis, Ellie Simmons, mo Farah, sir Chris Hoy, Sarah story, David Weir, Katherine Granger, Rory McIlroy, Ben Ainslie or Nicola Adams. Tough year to choose from, it can't be a sole Olympian though cause they've all done amazingly so it'd be mean to choose just one so that leaves Wiggo, Murray or McIlroy. with that said Its got to be Wiggo then.. (discuss I'm expecting a very biased view here)

Wiggo I reckon.
  • RideOnTime
    Crescent wrote:
    Wiggins or Murray. Purely because they have done something for the first time ever / first time in umpteen years. Several worthy winners in the nominees though, most of whom would walk it any other year.

Wiggo I reckon.
  • RideOnTime
    Well done Wiggo. Did fine in the interviews too. Always a bit worrying when he gets passed the mic! Good show this year i thought. Nothing patronising or cheesey.

See well done that man.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Just seen Wiggo telling everyone his credit card is behind the bar and then playing guitar at the awards. Its on the BBC website. Quite funny really but I would have liked to have known what Froomey was up to in the crowd at that point!