chainring /bash guard conversion

mogulkila
mogulkila Posts: 44
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i,ve got a 2011 stereo cube and i want to convert from a 3 chain ring to to a 2 and fit a bash guard and chain guide ,my question is what tools will i need to do the job,the reason i ask i dont want to buy a whole lot of the wrong tools for the the job...

thanks dave

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    An allen key to remove the ring and fit the bash. Plus something to hold the other side of the chanring bolt - either a specific tool, big screwdriver or something.
    Chain guide - depends on what. But why do you need one? You still have the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thick plastic bashes will need longer bolts.....

Screwdriver to adjust the front mech high stop!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sorry ,needed more specific info ..... :idea: i didn't make myself very clear i want to take the chainrings off and the pedal arm so i can fit a chain guide the question is what tools do i need for the job because of what type of crank would determine the type of tool req.
  • The Rookie
    What type of chain guide? What mounting to the bike (BB, ISCG, ISCG2, seat tube), what cranks you removing on what BB style?

The pedal 'arm' is normally called a crank by the way.

Why are you fitting a chainguide at all?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What cranks are they?
  • Shimano slx I think
  • The Rookie
    So to remove the Crank and refit you'll need the HT2 preload tool and an allen key for the pinch bolts.

Sp now what chainguide? Why do you think you need one?
  • the only reason i want to fit a chain guide is to stop the chain from being so sloppy/coming off occasionally .. all the usual reasons really and for which chain guide i havent decided yet :?
  • cooldad
    A chain guide won't stop the chain being 'sloppy' and you already have a tensioner (rear mech), and a guide (front mech).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    When you loose the larger chainring you'll need to shorten the chain which will remove some slop anyway!
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    sorry to hijack but im just about to buy a bash guard and remove large ring.not using chain guide but how many links need to be reomoved to run just the small and middle rings??

Thanks

Craig
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    The right number to size the chain properly, big/big (without threading through the rear mech) plus one pair of links (one inner, one outer).

If the chain is the right size now, how many you need to remove will depend on what size chainrings you have!
  • hainman
    Sorry dont quite follow the big big link thing,im looking to take out the 44t large and keep the middle and granny...32-22 I think,Deore crank set on Rockrider 9.1.....chain is ok right now,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    The big one that's left. Currently the middle one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Chain may be OK and still not right, however if it is right then you'll need to remove 6 links (3 pairs) (44T has a 180degree wrap of 22, 32T of 16, 22-16=6).

Go on the parktools website and see how to do it PROPERLY. (wrap the chain round the new biggest ring at each end, not going through the rear mech, and overlap by one pair of links, that is your correct length.)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Try a chain tensioner like a blackspire stinger.
  • hainman
    thanks The beginner....was struggling to follow the instruction but understand now,i'll have a look on parktool website,on another note,will i need to take the whole crankset of the bottom bracket?? As i dont have the tool for the hollowtech BB...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    The cranks, not the BB.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hainman
    yes thats what i mean,but dont i need a tool the takes the cranks off the BB??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    Yep, the tool to undo the bolt that tensions the bearings, about £2.99. And an allen key.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hainman
    Thanks cooldad.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    And a big screwdriver or chainbolt tool to loosen the chainring bolts. But unless they are really tight, you can get away with using any screwdriver.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools