got an orange question....

saxon46
saxon46 Posts: 15
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
just been offered an as new orange crush by a mate at work..............just moved hasn't got room to keep it
orangecrushlittle_zps3a2bc57d.jpg
orangecrushlarge_zps0443d634.jpg

it only has 2 chain rings on the crank and I wanna fit a bigger chainring 42t,could I just remove the guard and put a new ring on,cos I do a lot of trail riding and a bit of road aswell and don't think the two ring combination would be enough :lol::lol:

I don't have a great deal of knowledge on these things......used to my old 24 speed gt,so what is the difference between the two types of gearing...........as in the usual three chainring crank ,and the two chainring crank you see on some bikes......
I know there are alot more knowledgeable people on here than me(bit of a noob) and wondered could you enligten me :oops:

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    two is a good all round set up

if your buying it, check its safe to ride set the fork up right and get used to riding the bike

then take your time to tart it up the way you want, don't rush out and slap some ill thought out bits on it

the bike is probably just fine for thrashing about on the odd occasion as it is..... depends how you want to use it
  • the chainring is a raceface evolve xc......can I just get a 42t chainring to put on it,or would it be better to get a complete new chainring set....
  • TBH I find a 36t on the road with MTB tyres fine, will you be putting road tyres on?

With 36/11 I can spin up 30mph+
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    In theory, yes you can, however dual ring setups often have different chainring sizes to a standard triple setup (the middle ring is usually bigger), so you might find the ratios a bit funny if you just slap a big ring on.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • TBH I find a 36t on the road with MTB tyres fine, will you be putting road tyres on?

With 36/11 I can spin up 30mph+

+1 (except i need some wind assistance ;))
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want to fit a 42T it will be straightforward UNLESS the chain has been shortened, in which case you'll need to get it lengthened or fit a new chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And potentially a new rear mech if the current one is not a long cage and doesn't have the range. And if the front shifter and mech are double specific, you will need a new shifter, and possible a new mech, as the cages are different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools