Front mech changing up but not Down!!

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My xt mech has just started to play up. Since the cold weather!
It will change up no problem but when I click the shifter down the mech doesn't move, I have to kick it down.
The cable seems fine, lubed often

Any ideas?
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• Had the same problem recently on a muddy night ride with the rear mech, the mud around the mech and on the cable was frozen solid. Can't really think of a solution to that one?
    456 Carbon
    Ellsworth Ephiphany
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    probably slipped on the seat tube. try raising it a couple mm.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it catching the outer ring?

If it's just sticking then flush out the pivots with something like GT85 until it's moving feely then use something heavier (like spray on teflon based grease) to keep it lubed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • what the Beginner said, pivot on the mech siezed
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Take off the cable, make sure the mech drops down without it attached, then you know the issue is the mech, not the cable.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Alternatively (and easier) if the cables gone slack it's clearly not holding the mech out.....no need to remove at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lee170
    Cable goes slack when shifted down. Tried gt85 on it but still not moving back down
    2015 orange crush
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check nothings stuck in the mech, clean it, lube it - see if it moves by hand, if not replace it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Lots of GT85 on all 3/4 (depending on exact mech) pivots and keep working the cage in and out.
  • lee170
    Will keep living and working the mech. It's not very old so I hope it ain't knackered
    2015 orange crush