Cheap Winter sun riding: where?

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
I'm after a cheap break in Jan/Feb to somewhere sunny to put in some riding. Mountainous regions preferred. Self catering a must. France or Spain most likely. Anyone have any suggestions on location or resort? Nearby beach would be a winner. Must be able to get a cheap flight there!

Comments

• Although you might get some sun in the South of France, don't expect it to be much warmer than the UK, it can get pretty darn cold down there too.

We live in Finistere, NW France, which has milder winters than the South.

Even Spain would be a push, you'd have to go right to the very South.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I went to Sintra in Portugal last year and it was wonderful, the hills are amazing, weather was perfect av 19 degs and sunny
    A self-catering cottage from here…
    http://www.facebook.com/lisboncoastcottages
    I’m going with my club this year to Almeria which we’ve heard is also good.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    In january or february, tenerife, gran canaria, south of spain/portugal.canary islands have by far the best bets for sun this time of year
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    G Canaria - stunning riding
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Algarve, Portugal, good weather, cheap flight to Faro on Easyjet and you can choose between relatively flat coastal strip or a good few hills inland.

If its February you can also time it to watch the Tour of Algarve.
  • I spent between Christmas and new year in Calpe and Denia. Anywhere on that stretch of coast would be good. Plenty of hilly country inland, on the ocean. It was 22 the second day we were there, but more realistically you could expect 15 or 16 most days.

The Omega Pharma team pulled up and had coffee at a cafe as I was sitting there one day so it's popular!

Definitely fits the cheap definition, as it's summer resort country, accomodation is very cheap this time of year to fly into Alicante or Valencia.