• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    beverick wrote:
    Will start from Leeds in 2014.

Three stages in England.

The holiday request's already in.

Brilliant!

Bob

Have you got any info on what dates the first 3 stages will be and where the route goes?

Who needs Paris, St Tropez and Monaco when you can be in West Yorkshire.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Yup, Cas-vegas and Ponte-carlo to the fore!

The route is to be presented at a news conference in Leeds in Jan - 17th from memory.

Early rumours were that the prologue would start either from the city centre (Millennium Square) or one of the City's main parks and comprise a short time trial.

The same rumours were that the second stage would start in Bradford and finish near the Humber ports but the addition of a third day, which I think was a bit of an unexpected bonus, will see t'TdeF (as it surely must now be called!) end in London (I assume for the Eurostar to France). I assume, that this will mean day 2 will end somewhere in the midlands. My bet would be somewhere near Brum but all of the above is conjecture.

nb. The bid was actually for the race to start in Leeds in either 2016 or 2017, so to get it 2-3 years earlier is a real bonus.

Bob
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    edited March 2021
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Fevmeister wrote:
    If I was the organising body I would steer well clear of mucky Bradford! Use the Yorkshire dales to its full potential!

Dunno, some of the routes to the west of Bradford would be a challenge - the climb out of Bingley at East Moreton's almost virtical on the inside of the bend! Many of the Dales roads follow the valley bottoms but the further south you go they start to go from valley to valley and are steeper.

It'd be good to see how fast they can climb Holme Moss or Ilkley Moor. It's making my legs ache just thinking about it!

Bob
  • Woo hoo can't wait for that! Brilliant news!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    edited March 2021
  • Not that I'm complaining , but how is it called tour de France when it starts in the uk?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Because the Tour of Yorkshire For Three Days Then Back To France For The Other Two And A Half Weeks doesn't fit on the poster.
  • This was posted on the BBC news site, tickled me!

I hope the cyclists don't go clubbing in Yorks after hopefully a drug free ride thru its beautiful dales. Apparently, Yorkshire club goers have started injecting Ectasy just above their front teeth. Police say the dangerous practice is called "e by gum" :)
    Focus Cayo 105
    Graham Weigh (631 mirage)
    GT Avalanche gathering dust
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Cheers for that,those last two posts made me laugh alot.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Being fortunate** enough to live in Nottingham hopefully it won't pass by too far away from here.

**Insert own euphemism if you wish.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.