rear mech issue where to look next?

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Fitted a new rear mech to the bike a couple of weeks ago with new cable and outer. Set up fine as in park tools and after a few rides had a little tweak which I put down to cable stretch and again all running great.

Now comes the issue.

Having a ride out over Hamsterley on Tuesday, taking it easy with a fair bit of ice on the trails and a near off had me wary I took a low speed fall/slide landing predominantly on my hip but had me sliding with the bike for a few feet. I instantly had a look over the bike and all looked fine, no marks, dents or anything and everything seems straight.

Since then the mech will still cycle through the gears as well as it did but seems to struggle now and again getting into the lowest (largest ring) gear on the cassette. It still shifts in quickly but then after one or maybe two cycles it seems to try again and acts quite similarly to having a stiff link in the chain but straight after will turn normally.

the hanger, cable adjustment and chain all seem fine but was wondering if there was anywhere else I should be looking. I haven't messed with any of the adjustment screws as I didnt think these would have changed but now willing to consider any other options.

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Cable routing? I had a thing where the cable slipped out of the guide under the bottom bracket....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what side did you fall on?

what mech and shifter? top normal or bottom normal shifting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nick I fell on my right side, I stupidly tried to ride up a small left hand berm to avoid the ice at the bottom but ended up sliding down it.

mech is xt long cage and shifter is deore, normal shifting i think (pulls from small ring up).

zx6man my cable is routed along the top tube but is still worth a look thanks.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Have you cleaned it all thoroughly? - following a slide on the drive side, I had shifting issues which eventually turned out to be simply down to a load of crud jamming the thing up and pushing the jockey wheel off line.