White van man

Buckie2k5
Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
edited December 2012 in Road general
White van man nearly wipes me out today due to his impatience to get where hes going. A screaming match starts at the side of the road resulting in both of us leaving the scene like raging bulls. I arrived home still raging all set for driving up to his warehouse to have it out, but in the end i decided to get the warehouse number phone it up and ask the person who answered the phone to go out and check there van driver who has just arrived back and nearly killed the cyclist has a licence and then said goodbye.

I can imagine him going red with rage throwing things about the warehouse. muahahahah. probably a bit snidey of me but i dont really care. :mrgreen:

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    White van man nearly wipes me out today due to his impatience to get where hes going. A screaming match starts at the side of the road resulting in both of us leaving the scene like raging bulls. I arrived home still raging all set for driving up to his warehouse to have it out, but in the end i decided to get the warehouse number phone it up and ask the person who answered the phone to go out and check there van driver who has just arrived back and nearly killed the cyclist has a licence and then said goodbye.

I can imagine him going red with rage throwing things about the warehouse. muahahahah. probably a bit snidey of me but i dont really care. :mrgreen:
    Unfortunately the person who answered the phone probably also answers to white van man. So he probably doesn't give a monkey!! Ah well....white van man living up to his reputation...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • i never done it to get the guy into bother. i know the company and knew it wouldnt be a boss on the phone. I done it just to annoy the driver and hence i get the final word and his work m8s give him a bit of a ribbing. ;)
  • Hopefully he won't go after the last laugh and clip you round the head with his mirror next time he drives past you!
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • We're not all that bad by the way!

Yes some do cycle too.
  • Why didnt you just kick him back in his van? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    MADONE 5.2
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    I always think they look so dopey when there's 3 of them sat across the seats - generally speaking a complete and utter bunch of monkeys.
  • thefd
    Captainlip wrote:
    Why didnt you just kick him back in his van? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    You and kicking people again....!!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Always ask for the Fleet Manager - if they have one, then vent your spleen. if they haven't got one, then its not worth complaining much.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    RoyPSB wrote:
    I always think they look so dopey when there's 3 of them sat across the seats - generally speaking a complete and utter bunch of monkeys.

Agree! :mrgreen:

they must all tumble over as the door suddenly opens.
  • Predjudiced bunch of bastards. Van drivers are not all the same you know!

Just as you (us) cyclists are not! We don't all jump red lights, ride pavements, ignore basic traffic laws.

Give a little respect and slowly, very slowly, some will trickle its way back to you.
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

I can imagine him going red with rage throwing things about the warehouse. muahahahah. Probably a bit snidey of me but i dont really care. :mrgreen:

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here and make some observations, don't take it personally. You've clearly had a set-to with a driver who has endangered your personal safety from what you say. The driver was in the wrong and may have even committed traffic offences, fair enough. Then you've had a slanging match at the road side and both gone off like 'raging bulls'. How has that helped? You raged and he raged. You no doubt told each other what you thought of each other and then went your separate ways, both still full of rage and stress - probably more than the traffic incident itself caused.

You get home then need to call his company to complain and then post on the forums afterwards complaining about him and then, "I don't really care". Do you really think he raged around his warehouse like you suggest? He probably thought, "stupid jerk cyclist" and then went home to his family. (Disclaimer: I am not calling you a stupid jerk cyclist btw). I think you do care and I think you were still wound up by it. Do you feel the same now? I'm just curious. I get its a coping mechanism, thats how you dealt with it.

Have you tried the 'sweetness and light' approach'? I get that cyclists need to challenge bad driving, especially when our road safety is in question and I do it myself but we are getting a bad rep right now. The other problem is anger is a catalyst that can lead to incidents getting totally out of hand. It doesn't matter how tough you are or how good you are with your fists, someone out there is always better and sometimes there's more than one of them. You can remonstrate with someone without screaming in a rage and I guarantee if you remain calm and talk 'sweetness and light' they will eventually come down to your level even if they are spitting-foam-angry at the start. Anger bounces back and forth. If you don't bounce it back it has a mental stunning effect because thats what they expect back and when they don't get it they cant bounce it back again. Granted, its not easy to do and requires self control, but it works.

The point I'm coming to is when you think about it, more cyclists shout at drivers than the other way around. We know why; there is more of them than us creating more danger for us, they are in 1.5 ton+ protective shells surrounded by airbags and we have 10kg bikes and styrofoam helmets, so we are slightly more robust in expressing our mortality. But we are not doing ourselves any favours when we rage at drivers. If we can get across our point while being reasonable and calm drivers are more likely to absorb what we say. At moment we are thought of as angry road demons. I know you were put in danger as you say, but another approach might have made the outcome slightly more positive for both of you and you could have ridden the rest of the way home stress free.

Just my thoughts, rightly or wrongly. Doesn't mean I am right and certainly not any holier-than-thou than anyone else here.
  • i dont really care was actually about the "it was probably a bit snidey of me" comment, read it again. Ofcourse i cared or i wouldnt have been so angry. He obviously already had a hatred for cyclists and has had run ins before. The commment he made " dont start your cyclist sh*t with me" kind of proved that.

Too sit as close as he did to me and then block my exit was pure arrogance and impatience, but also gave no respect at all to my safety. I may have acted a bit calmer but when you get startled by a huge van nearly taking you out you dont really think "i better not shout here".
  • thefd
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    I may have acted a bit calmer but when you get startled by a huge van nearly taking you out you dont really think "i better not shout here".
    I think we have all reacted differently to how we would want to. And later would prefer to have acted in a calmer manner, but I certainly can see why you did start shouting!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Personally I would have got the number and Blasted it all over Twitter on the #trafficdroid

But that is just me...
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Predjudiced bunch of bastards. Van drivers are not all the same you know!

Just as you (us) cyclists are not! We don't all jump red lights, ride pavements, ignore basic traffic laws.

Give a little respect and slowly, very slowly, some will trickle its way back to you.

Fair point we should be better than stereotypes and cliches; having said that I got in from my ride an hour ago and on it witnessed some of the worst driving I've seen in a while, amongst which were two dangerously close and really impatient passes by white van man (two different ones) on a national speed limit stretch of rural road with good visibility to oncoming traffic and nothing coming.

On the flip side there were several exemplary passes which I was grateful about as I was just over 50 going downhill on a not quite dry and bendy road!
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    if the van had a warehouse or company name on it then technically its wasnt a white van driver.