bloody clots

cwm
cwm Posts: 177
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Havn't done alot of cycling since tearing my cartilage in my left knee around september time but put on 1 1/2st, so t'was feeling ok on sunday so went out for a plod,had the usual calf pain in my right leg about 30 miles in with an annoying twinging in my right groin.
Struggled home,showered and ice packed the calf.
This calf problem has been an occasional pain in the .... since about feb 2010 when i tried my first 100miler and had to call it a dat 85miles in.
Anyway,most rides ended in a bag of frozen peas on my stiff calf,this pain put down to years of dodgy knees,various acl,cartilage ops,wasted thigh muscle and general wear and tear over the past 44years.

Got up monday morning after the plod with the calf still giving me quite a bit of pain,my foot feeling cold and numb.gave it a while and then decided after moaning around the house and loosing feeling in my lower leg aswell as foot that i better go to the gp.
Wait 45mins past my appointment time sending the surgery mental with my whinging and moaning only to be seen by a gp,examined and sent home and told to come back if it got any worse.

90mins later i was back up seeing another gp who packed me of to a&e after being unable to find a pulse from below my knee with the lower half of my leg turned white.
After being seen in a&e and then by the cardio vascular surgeon i was in for op.
Turns out i had an arterial embolism,2 clots,1 in calf and 1 in groin.

Numb feet,legs during after a ride,not good.

Apparently this is a rare occurence in someone my age(44) so beware peeps,those aches n pains you brush off as old injuries and age related aches might be alot worse.
now sharing my plods on
http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Bloody hell - glad you're ok!
  • Christ! :-( How are you feeling now?

I had a clot incident in 2004. It’s slightly embarrassing but fuxk it. It’s a warning...

I was on the sh1tter and realised there was no toilet roll on the holder. So I twisted my neck round to check if there was any on the top of the cistern. Doing this caused a shooting pain on the right side of my neck but I didn’t think anything of it. Problem was I spent the week with a really sore neck.

I woke up on a Tuesday morning to the alarm. I was lying on my front and when I turned over onto my back I got the same sensation as you get when you’ve been out on the sauce the night before and you wake up still drunk. I thought ‘oh this is odd, feels like I’m going to throw up’. Got up to go to the toilet and then collapsed on the floor. I couldn’t control the right side of my body but I still managed to get to the toilet – didn’t want to be sick on the new bedroom carpet - I then collapsed on the toilet floor.

During this time my girlfriend was freaking out. She called NHS24 who said call your GP Surgery, she called the GP Surgery who said call NHS24, they went ‘oh all right then we’ll call an ambulance’.

Ambulance turns up but I’d passed out against the bathroom door so they had to kick it in (gently). They stuck me on a stretcher/chair thing, got me into an ambulance and that’s when the Exorcist vomiting started. Brutal.

The next couple of hours were vague flashes of being wheeled up corridors, being put into MRI and CAT scanners, tubes and strong drugs. Think Wolverine flashbacks from the X-Men films ;-)

Then I came to and felt fine – albeit in an IC unit rigged up to loads of machines.

When I’d turned to get the bog roll I’d torn an artery off the muscle wall in my neck which kinked and caused a clot. The clot spent a bit of time hanging about before making its way up to my right cerebellum and then caused a bleed. The cerebellum controls balance as well as the chunder gland (I made that last bit up) so that’s why I went wonky.

But the brain is an amazing thing and although a scan of my noggin shows a large dark area on my right cerebellum I have no adverse after-effects and the docs say that my brain has rewired itself to cope with the loss on cells.

NB – there was paper on the top of the cistern.
  • Jinkies - take it easy.

Dr Cleats solution - a double whisky and warfarin :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • When I’d turned to get the bog roll I’d torn an artery off the muscle wall in my neck which kinked and caused a clot.
    Dear god.

Note to self: gentle neck stretches.

Glad you (and the OP) are Ok now.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • cwm
    "NB – there was paper on the top of the cistern."
    nothing bloody worse than no bog roll nearby when you need it :)

tbh just a little sore where they went in through the groin,but wish i never looked it up on this internet thing as it seems the world i live in is different to the real one as everybody else realised how serious it was/is apart from me,but i do remember being told there'll be no problems riding again aslong as we dont have to amputate,to which i laughed and went back to my world :roll:
    now sharing my plods on
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Blimey hope you're on the mend. Thumbs up to the second GP though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    I thought this thread was about the government. Boooo.

After the hip-ops, I had to wear white DVT tights and have dailly injections of Warfarin in the stomach. Kicked the randy East European nurse (from the 'agency') clean out of bed accidentally, damn twitches.
    Don't know what was worse - the possibility of a clot or the jags and the tights.

OP - a stone and a a half ?! That would slow you down, clot or no clot. Hope your pedalling rounds not squares soon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Just posting to bring you to the top of the page as I think this is important.
  • cwm
    I thought this thread was about the government. Boooo.

After the hip-ops, I had to wear white DVT tights and have dailly injections of Warfarin in the stomach. Kicked the randy East European nurse (from the 'agency') clean out of bed accidentally, damn twitches.
    Don't know what was worse - the possibility of a clot or the jags and the tights.

OP - a stone and a a half ?! That would slow you down, clot or no clot. Hope your pedalling rounds not squares soon.

squares are normally the norm with me anyway,but anybody reading this please be aware that dvt and my arterial emboli are 2 different things
    now sharing my plods on
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Christ on a Pinarello! :shock: I'm scared to move after reading this thread. Stay healthy fellas.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Christ! :-( How are you feeling now?

I had a clot incident in 2004. It’s slightly embarrassing but fuxk it. It’s a warning...

I was on the sh1tter and realised there was no toilet roll on the holder. So I twisted my neck round to check if there was any on the top of the cistern. Doing this caused a shooting pain on the right side of my neck but I didn’t think anything of it. Problem was I spent the week with a really sore neck.

I woke up on a Tuesday morning to the alarm. I was lying on my front and when I turned over onto my back I got the same sensation as you get when you’ve been out on the sauce the night before and you wake up still drunk. I thought ‘oh this is odd, feels like I’m going to throw up’. Got up to go to the toilet and then collapsed on the floor. I couldn’t control the right side of my body but I still managed to get to the toilet – didn’t want to be sick on the new bedroom carpet - I then collapsed on the toilet floor.

During this time my girlfriend was freaking out. She called NHS24 who said call your GP Surgery, she called the GP Surgery who said call NHS24, they went ‘oh all right then we’ll call an ambulance’.

Ambulance turns up but I’d passed out against the bathroom door so they had to kick it in (gently). They stuck me on a stretcher/chair thing, got me into an ambulance and that’s when the Exorcist vomiting started. Brutal.

The next couple of hours were vague flashes of being wheeled up corridors, being put into MRI and CAT scanners, tubes and strong drugs. Think Wolverine flashbacks from the X-Men films ;-)

Then I came to and felt fine – albeit in an IC unit rigged up to loads of machines.

When I’d turned to get the bog roll I’d torn an artery off the muscle wall in my neck which kinked and caused a clot. The clot spent a bit of time hanging about before making its way up to my right cerebellum and then caused a bleed. The cerebellum controls balance as well as the chunder gland (I made that last bit up) so that’s why I went wonky.

But the brain is an amazing thing and although a scan of my noggin shows a large dark area on my right cerebellum I have no adverse after-effects and the docs say that my brain has rewired itself to cope with the loss on cells.

NB – there was paper on the top of the cistern.

I'm never going to the toilet again :shock:
  • cwm
    Been given to go ahead to peddle some squares :D
    Seen consultant today and alls good with leg and clot/pulses,didn't have my heart scan results but all ticking well and the scan will only help in the use of warfarin for good or not.
    Happy days and now to get rid of the bulk :?
    now sharing my plods on
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Couple of years ago when I turned 40 , I started reading too much well man health horror stories(appreciate this aint one of those ) and as a result on top of the normal Glucosamine, Mitochondorin , Centrum vits and Omega 3,6,9 I still take I started taking 75 milligram dispersable aspirin.

I had to stop after a couple of months as the slightest knock I got ( And I play Sunday league with thugs) I ended up looking like I was in a full blown RTA I ve never bruised so easy in my life, and I ve had some big offs.

So obviously take your G.Ps advice but I can seriously vouch that just one junior aspirin a day seriously thins the blood.

Probably safer than Professor Cleats prescription.