Does a provisional driving license = proof of address?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited December 2012 in The bottom bracket
As above.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Best off with bank statement or utility bill...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    I have neither, my bank statements with NatWest are online and don't show my address on, I don't have any utilities bills.
  • napoleond
    Council tax bill? Licence only good for photo ID...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • willhub
    Don't have a council tax bill as I live with parents.

What about the license paper counterpart with address on?
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Willhub - man of mystery, known to no one.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    to answer your question - no it doesn't.

A provisional license is the most common document used when starting to create a false identity.
  • napoleond
    willhub wrote:
    Don't have a council tax bill as I live with parents.

What about the license paper counterpart with address on?

In that case it appears you have no proof of address, unless you can take your mum along with you?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Did you not sign on - - the letter from the benefits will do, also do you not have a passport being an international man of mystery.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • willhub
    Passport is not proof of identity.

I'll have a look in my hand bag where all my JSA stuff is.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    willhub wrote:

you have a man bag?!?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    willhub wrote:
    As above.

Depends on what you're doing and where, funny how everyone is discounting it when they don't know the whole story, companies/organisations vary in what they accept.

Have you actually spoke to the party that's requesting proof, instead of coming on a forum with minimal information who can't actually answer your question?

The mind boggles.
  • nick67
    nick67 Posts: 111
    Obviously it will depend upon your age, but you should have some form of tax coding?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If the JSA stuff doesn't help, you should be able to order a paper statement through your online banking which will probably do. Might take a few days though.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Go into the bank and ask for a letter confirming your address. They'll be quite happy to do it for you.

And if you want to put the fact that you have a driving licence on your CV (assuming you're still looking for a job when you've passed the test), note the spelling. License is a verb, this premise is licensed to sell alcohol. But you have a driving licence.
  • willhub wrote:
    Passport is not proof of identity.

....since when ?

as much as, if not more than a photo d/lic...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    willhub wrote:
    I have neither, my bank statements with NatWest are online and don't show my address on, I don't have any utilities bills.

You might be able to request a hard copy?
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I have been told by DVLA that the driving licence is NOT a proof of identity or of address.
  • majormantra
    johnfinch wrote:
    Go into the bank and ask for a letter confirming your address. They'll be quite happy to do it for you.

And if you want to put the fact that you have a driving licence on your CV (assuming you're still looking for a job when you've passed the test), note the spelling. License is a verb, this premise is licensed to sell alcohol. But you have a driving licence.

"License" as a noun is standard in American English, so it's not really wrong.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Briggo wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    As above.

Depends on what you're doing and where, funny how everyone is discounting it when they don't know the whole story, companies/organisations vary in what they accept.

Have you actually spoke to the party that's requesting proof, instead of coming on a forum with minimal information who can't actually answer your question?

The mind boggles.

+1

'Proof' is whatever the person requiring it says it is.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • "License" as a noun is standard in American English, so it's not really wrong.
    Or wouldn't be wrong if he were applying for a job in America. Most people here won't notice (or care about) the difference, but some will, so why take the chance that the person filtering applications is one of them?
  • majormantra
    Fair point.