Creaking full sus...

julesreece17
julesreece17 Posts: 70
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi gang,

just changed my brake pads, front and back, which included removing both wheels, as i got more angry and frustrated with it. Put them back together and noticed a little rub and so i thought i'd pop out for a little ride to see if it settles down.

Well, i jumped on it and its started creaking like hell!

Its a 2013 zesty 514, and only about 9 weeks old. i'd say ive ridden it about 6 or 7 times, all downhill, hence the brake pads being changed already.

I wash it with cold water, using a hose pipe, and just wipe clean. I have on occasion sprayed a little wd on the pivot points, and i've not used it for about 2 weeks.

The creaking is def from the pivot points, now is this normal, and will it go away when i use it properly, or is summit up? I've done a quick search of previous posts but they all point to the bearings. But with it being only 9 weeks old, and it being silent when i put it away, im thinking it cant really be thm can it?

Jules.

Comments

• 9 weeks old - free service available?

6-7 times and new brake pads? Is that normal for downhill? Holy smoke! I had some creaking there due to the calipers not being alligned - when you pop the bike upside down and spin the wheels do they freely rotate?
  • hi,

yes it is due its first free service service, shall be having a word tomorrow.

there's a slight drag from the rear pads, but the creak is certainly from the pivot points. i think its the ones just forward of the rear axle.

so frustrating....
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    WD on the pivot points may have washed out any lube or grease and so they're running dry. Any grit/dirt in there could produce a creaking sound.

WD is not a lube.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you washed any grease out the pivots using both cold water and WD40 and wonder why it creaks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    So you washed any grease out the pivots using both cold water and WD40 and wonder why it creaks?

This is 'workshop and tech', not 'I can fix my bike and power the south east of England with my own smugness'.

Either grease them yourself (not difficult, loads of how to vids all over the internet) with some proper grease, or if you aren't confident doing it yourself, tell the shop you don't think the pivots are greased properly when you take it for its service.

Leave the WD off the pivots in future, and don't spray water into them. I have no experience with Lapierres, but either you've given them some serious welly whilst cleaning them or the bearings might be quite exposed to the elements (I have no idea which, and may just be speculating).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    WD40 should be sold with a health waring, like cigarettes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • My laptop broke this weekend so i missed most of the snide comments lol.

Anyway, booked in for service, explained what i said to yourselves, and the shop said exactly the same thing. wd is not a lube. They also said they'd re-lube it for me if need be. Now consider myself told......twice.

Went out on it today and the creaking went away after half hour. When washing it at home I left the wd in the shed, so hopefully this wont happen again.

Thanks for the one or two helpful comments anyway. Any advice on what i should spray on the pivot points if anything at all?

Jules.
  • actually, re-reading, there was only one sarcy comment, the rest were actually helpful.....cheers all.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    When I'm ruiler which will never happen WD40 will be banned from saying use this product on your bike. It has no place on it. In fact I find it hard to think of something I would use it for.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Blasting crap through gear cables, and off bike cleaning and degreasing. I have it and use it. When needed.
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    I've got/had a similar problem with my Felt compulsion. Thought it was the BB, turns out now I've stripped the whole back end that its all the bearings in the back end. I spoke to the guy in the bike shop where I took it as they need pressing out and back in. He said when you wash your bike use a hose, but only the pressure from the hose, no 'gun' on nozzle on the end as that extra pressure forces out al the grease that's in there.