Bike servicing

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
How long time/miles before I should look to get my bike serviced?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Do it yourself on a regular basis instead of filling the satchels of the likes of Evans once every six months or so - bikes are pretty straightforward machines to work on and there is a whole host of videos on the internet to cover basic servicing issues.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    When it needs it. If it shifts ok, brakes ok, wheels are true, makes no squeaks rattles or clicks, then leave it. Put a chain checker on it every few months to check for wear, and keep it all clean.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Clean it, lube it, check tyres for things that don't belong there. Adjust brakes & gear cables as they need it.

That's pretty much what Evans et al do, but they dress it up as a service and charge you for it. None of it is rocket science, not even gear tweaking.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CiB wrote:
    Clean it, lube it, check tyres for things that don't belong there. Adjust brakes & gear cables as they need it.

That's pretty much what Evans et al do, but they dress it up as a service and charge you for it. None of it is rocket science, not even gear tweaking.

It would be well cool if it was.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Hmm, I'm not convinced this is all that good advice for the beginners forum. If you've got multiple bikes so that one out of action for a time doesn't inconvenience you too much and time enough on your hands to tinker tinker tinker then fair enough learn.

But not everyone does and not everyone is confident enough or good enough with their hands to get this stuff done well.

The answer is of course akin to the one for how long is a piece of string. How much cycling do you do? What mileage and in what conditions? All will effect wear and tear greatly.

The traditional answer would be roughly once every six months but it does depend on the above and there will be recommendations in your bike's user manual, assuming you've got it...

I've been riding for six months now and I've not yet achieved the confidence to do much myself at all yet although practice is gradually getting me there. I doubt I'll ever get to the point where I can true a wheel.
  • might open a can of worms here but im 10 months into my first year of road cycling and i have my bike in the halfords bike care plan. for just £20 a year you get unlimited servicing on your mike and free labour if fitting anything new aslong as parts are bought from halfords. really been good for me as my wheels have needed trueing a few times and gears and brakes have been altered a couple of times. id really recommend it to anyone unsure with the workings of a bike and it doesnt have to be a bike bought from halfords either.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Like most things there are some excellent places doing servicing and some just trying to rip you off. I use a mobile mechanic who collects my bikes from work and his servicing involves pretty much taking everything apart and checking it over (including wheels) all for about £10-15. I think this is money well spent every six months as I am clueless mechanically despite trying to learn
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I've only been riding since September and really wouldn't feel confident enough to start tinking with things myself as I'm not great mechanically. I ride between 50-80 miles a week in all conditions. I'll check my owners manual. Thanks for the advice.
  • Nick1972 wrote:
    I've only been riding since September and really wouldn't feel confident enough to start tinking with things myself as I'm not great mechanically. I ride between 50-80 miles a week in all conditions. I'll check my owners manual. Thanks for the advice.

Bikes are not cars and periodic services rarely are worth it/value for money... learn the DIY or get in touch with some proper shop who will do you a good job for reasonable money. Most LBS service in London goes very little beyond visual inspection, unless you leave them 100 pounds.
    left the forum March 2023
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`d suggest also going on a cycle maintenance course, for the price of a big service they teach you to do it yourself so you come back with a well maintained bike and the know how to keep it running sweet
    I did a 2 day course, full strip down and rebuilt of my full suss mtb, left the suss bits alone tho!