Wiggo for the Tour?

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited December 2012 in Pro race
My wife claims she's just heard Wiggo on the television saying he'll defend his yellow jersey next year. Apparently, when asked if this wasn't a little at odds with what DB and CF have been saying, he replied that no-ones bothered to ask him to support Froome yet.

Is she making this up?

Comments

• kind of at odds with this write up of the interview:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/de ... rance-2013

TBH I suspect this is Wiggo on a bit of a wind-up
  • Most likely a bored Wiggo having to answer questions on tactics for a race which is over 7 months away
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'd love it. Should be great entertainment. Might even on level with Astana 2009.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    jim453 wrote:
    My wife claims she's just heard Wiggo on the television saying he'll defend his yellow jersey next year. Apparently, when asked if this wasn't a little at odds with what DB and CF have been saying, he replied that no-ones bothered to ask him to support Froome yet.

Is she making this up?
    No she's right, that's he said basically (heard it myself). He was a lot more vague than that though, it was more that he hadn't decided what his plans are yet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • It was on 5 Live. Doesn't sound too vague to me...

"I'm probably going to try and win a second Tour de France, so I don't know, maybe we'll have two leaders," Wiggins told BBC Radio 5 live.
    "My goal is to win the Tour next year. Whether that is realised or not, I don't know really," Wiggins added.
    "How that's going to work with the team I don't know - it's more Dave's problem, really, to worry about.
    "It's just how we service both mouths - that's more the problem to figure out."
  • It was on Radio5 Breakfast, about 2:20 in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p6yh5/5_live_Breakfast_13_12_2012/

Yes, it sounds like they haven't made their minds up yet. Nice interview, not sure what I think of the sound of a midnight blue suede suit though.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    edited December 2012
    Smoke & mirrors

I reckon Sky and their riders know exactly what the plan is for next season.

Edit: Unless their riders are thinking of going rouge that is.
    Mañana
  • He was quite clear on Radio 5 earlier.

I will try and win tour , two leaders, not sure how it will work, up to Dave to sort out

However if Froome is nominated sole will ride for him if I took the start
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    pb21 wrote:
    Edit: Unless their riders are thinking of going rouge that is.
    What? Wearing make-up?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Heard it as well.

It could either be Wiggo stomping his feet a bit because he feels he should be the main man at next year's Tour, or it could be that Sky know exactly what they're doing next year and it was just Wiggo feeling a bit bored/cheeky and stirring it a bit.
  • And why shouldn't he? Froome hardly stuck to the script 100% last year.

Different game going to the tour knowing all year you're the favourite/one of, rather than doing a decent ride with little pressure beforehand.

think the 'do the giro to win, see what happens at the tour' is a clever stroke by wiggins and sky, it's win-win.

Likely another GT on the palmares, possibly two, but if it doesn't happen, no worries - already acheived the seasons objective.

Going all out to win the tour now looks a higher risk strategy and perhaps better for cycling if Giro gets some help on the world stage rather than just the tour.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If Wiggins rode well at both the Giro and the Tour then twitter taliban and the Cycling News Cranks would really go to town on the doping talk.

Personally I think Wiggins could still do well at the Tour, even with a tougher route. If he rides and is in form and doesn't crash then Contador will win, but I could still see Wiggins on the podium. As impressive as he's looked at times, Froome hasn't actually won any stage races of note, he's still got a lot to prove in my eyes.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If Wiggins rode well at both the Giro and the Tour then twitter taliban and the Cycling News Cranks would really go to town on the doping talk.
    If Wiggins rode well at the Giro but not the Tour then twitter taliban and the Cycling News Cranks would really go to town on the doping talk.
    If Wiggins rode well at the Tour but not the Giro then twitter taliban and the Cycling News Cranks would really go to town on the doping talk.
    If Wiggins rode well at neither the Giro nor the Tour then twitter taliban and the Cycling News Cranks would really go to town on the doping talk.
    FTFY
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    think the 'do the giro to win, see what happens at the tour' is a clever stroke by wiggins and sky, it's win-win.

Likely another GT on the palmares, possibly two, but if it doesn't happen, no worries - already acheived the seasons objective.

Going all out to win the tour now looks a higher risk strategy and perhaps better for cycling if Giro gets some help on the world stage rather than just the tour.

^This
    I think his key goals will be the Giro and the World's TT. He will be able to rationalise a (relatively) weak defense at the tour (which is going to be tough for him), because he has achieved/burnt out at the Giro. Post tour full concentration to take the stipes.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    He should forget about the Giro and go for the Tour again. If he wants to be a 'great' then he needs to win it more than once. Why go for a lesser title? Why let Froome have it? If he beliebes he can do it then he should have a bloody good crack at it. Anything less doesn't make any sense.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    He should forget about the Giro and go for the Tour again. If he wants to be a 'great' then he needs to win it more than once. Why go for a lesser title? Why let Froome have it? If he beliebes he can do it then he should have a bloody good crack at it. Anything less doesn't make any sense.

With limited time left in his career, perhaps the idea of a diverse Palmares is appealing, i.e. Tour, Giro + possibly Vuelta one year? Plus his track stuff, Olympics TT + other stage races. That would be one hell of a Palmares.

I know the Tour is the best GT, but it will be touhger next year as his opponents are better suited to the terrain than he is.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    All the more reason.

Giro is a step down. Go for the top GT - always. It's like Rossi saying he'll do WSB or Schuey going to IndyCar (if it still exists...). If you want to be judged against the best then ride the Tour. Simple.

Until he beats Contador - even with Bertie's dopey past - then they'll always be question marks over how good Wiggo really is.

If anything, it is now MORE important that he does the 2013 Tour. If he really is the main man then he'll step up and take on Bertie, and put it all together.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    maddog 2 wrote:
    All the more reason.

Giro is a step down. Go for the top GT - always. It's like Rossi saying he'll do WSB or Schuey going to IndyCar (if it still exists...). If you want to be judged against the best then ride the Tour. Simple.

Until he beats Contador - even with Bertie's dopey past and present - then they'll always be question marks over how good Wiggo really is.

If anything, it is now MORE important that he does the 2013 Tour. If he really is the main man then he'll step up and take on Bertie, and put it all together.

FIFY
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    All the more reason.

Until he beats Contador - even with Bertie's dopey past - then they'll always be question marks over how good Wiggo really is.

TBH Wiggo doesnt seem to really give a damn about whether some people question 'how good he really is' in years to come. His P-N/Romandie/Dauphine/Tour series of wins this year is record-breaking, never mind following up with the Olympic gold. The last person to win the Tour and Oly gold was Indurain - and that was in different years.

With his Worlds and Olympic titles on the track, right now at this point in his career his place amongst the top riders through the years in terms of all-rounders, is pretty much guaranteed.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I would be up for him defending it against Clenberilol.
    Froome just doesn't have the TT to make margins against dirty bertie but Wiggo does.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Think OCI played a blinder in the 2 month old identical twin of this thread when he said that Sky are holding so many chips for next year, why on earth would they show any of their hand now..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Think OCI played a blinder in the 2 month old identical twin of this thread when he said that Sky are holding so many chips for next year, why on earth would they show any of their hand now..?

Yep. My theory is that he's actually Fran Millar. Just a thought :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He was speaking from a team training camp in Majorca. The rest of the team probably said "Hey Brad, tell them you're going to be the leader at the Tour and let's see what the 'experts' say on twitter"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • oh gawd, Gallagher's only gone and written his view on it

*backs away slowly*
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    All the more reason.
    Giro is a step down. Go for the top GT - always.

The Giro is the top GT.
    Just look at the list of recent winners, comepared to the Tour. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    All the more reason.
    Giro is a step down. Go for the top GT - always.

The Giro is the top GT.
    Just look at the list of recent winners, comepared to the Tour. :wink:

The Giro isn't at all a step down, especially if you count the fact that it actually HAS some recent winners, unlike le Tour.. :D

On a serious note I would absolutely love to see Brad take either the Giro or the Tour next year, and I know he'll put a good show in on both, but it's tough to see him going up against the smaller guys on the steep stuff and retaining enough time to take back in a lesser amount of TT miles.

The Tour was tailor made for him this year, no bones about it - and saying he might take the Giro against the likes of Contador isn't far off the fantasy of Andy Schleck saying they he really believes he had a shot at last years Tour with Wiggo riding
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    FFS why is everyone still going on about wiggo being wa@k in the mountains, none of his rivals took any time from him.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • oh gawd, Gallagher's only gone and written his view on it

*backs away slowly*

How did he get a laptop up Brads arse?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I think the previous winner should honour the yellow jersey and defend it, but i do see Wiggo's point in trying to win the Giro, would make a great Palmares.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....