12 Speed wireless electronic drivetrain

kim10
kim10 Posts: 186
edited December 2012 in Road general
So is this the future of eletronic drivetrain? - Some of the comments suggest this could be a hoax? I think it make sense as an ongoing development of the eletronic groupset. Agree with some of the comment, its definately not the prettiest thing I have ever seen:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/tis ... -unveiled/

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Its quite an interesting development.. and its sucess depends entirely on the price as I doubt many people would be willing to spend £400 on it when you can get Shimano 105 instead.

The shifters look horrific though.. rocker switch doesn't look like the best solution. And I'm hoping thats not the final version of the control box!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Think of the future potential. You could plot your route in advance and pre-programme all the gearchanges before you leave the house! Wonderful :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm suspicious of the claim that the derailleurs are powered by AAA batteries :shock:
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I agree with all of the above, there are quite a few things that could be improved, but the development is, i my opinion, very interesting. Imagine what this could lead to once Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo puts it thouugh their R&D departments.
  • How long until a fully automatic gearchange?
  • Kim10 wrote:
    I agree with all of the above, there are quite a few things that could be improved, but the development is, i my opinion, very interesting. Imagine what this could lead to once Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo puts it thouugh their R&D departments.

I am sure the wireless technology is not quite there yet. Wireless computers have been around for 10 years and they are still prone to mistakes and susceptible to traffic noise and interference.
    left the forum March 2023
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Bustacapp wrote:
    How long until a fully automatic gearchange?

Its been done before.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bustacapp wrote:
    How long until a fully automatic gearchange?
    Gawd no. I want to be the one who chooses whether to amble in a big gear or spin at a speed of my choosing, not a bit of software optimised for 'most riders', especially if I'm giving it the beans when the thing decides to change. No thanks.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The whole thing just seems like an answer to questions and problems nobody is posing
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    12 speed will be as thick as tissue paper and break easily. Way too many speeds for no benefit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    12 speed will be as thick as tissue paper and break easily. Way too many speeds for no benefit.

They said for 10...

And they were right... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    There comes a point when the chain is going to have to be so thin it will be useless. If you really need that many gears surely a triple would be a better bet? I hope the groupset is better than the dodgy video. Looks like it was make by a company that makes dodgy work training videos!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Strange though, seems like we are going back to the days of using different manufacturers parts for groupsets rather than all campag or shimano. Used to have your mafac brakes, simplex gears, stronglite chainsets etc. With people like this and microshift there seems to be more choice opening up.
  • I can just imagine that in the pro peloton.... Just as Contador makes a break on the Alpe D'Huez, someone in the crowd picks up his bluetooth signal and changes his gear for him to 53/11 :twisted:
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Maybe they could run Le Tour a bit like Strictly Come Dancing - see how the audience feels, who they like, and then push a button to give that competitor the gearing the folks at home would like to see them have. What fun that would be...