mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
except we are calling them "scou-cycles" supposedly

click
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The cycle hire bikes in London are awesome, what are you unhappy about?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    The glut of second hand wheels that will flood the market in the local pubs within a day of launch?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wont they all end up in the Mersey?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    notsoblue wrote:

liverpool is tiny compared to london, where are they expecting to 1,000 bikes to go?

its going to be like a turkey shoot for motorists
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    (very) Affordable rental bikes
    Healthier travelling
    Healthier people
    A moce towards a more bike-centric city culture

Whats not to like?
  • notsoblue
    mudcow007 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

liverpool is tiny compared to london, where are they expecting to 1,000 bikes to go?

The area that its in in London is only about a 10 mile diameter, and theres way more than 1000 bikes there.

How fast does traffic drive in Liverpool generally?

Personally I think having slower moving, helmetless, normal clothes wearing targets on the streets was a good thing for existing cyclists. Cars in London seem to give *way* more room to Boris Bikers than normal cyclists.
  • vermin
    @NSB
    Have you been to Liverpool? Everything you could imagine wanting to get to is within walking distance (similar to the area bounded by Liverpool Street, Aldgate, Tower Hill, and Monument tubes). I can only imagine that they are planning to put stations into residential areas, otherwise there just seems no point at all.
  • mudcow007
    notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

The area that its in in London is only about a 10 mile diameter, and theres way more than 1000 bikes there.

How fast does traffic drive in Liverpool generally?

Personally I think having slower moving, helmetless, normal clothes wearing targets on the streets was a good thing for existing cyclists. Cars in London seem to give *way* more room to Boris Bikers than normal cyclists.

cyclists within Liverpool are a pretty rare sight to be honest

if i go through the city center i may see 2 bikes if i'm lucky?

hopefully, the motorists will behave themselves - i think alot of work has to be done by the council though i.e. cycle lanes etc - we only have a 3 at the moment!!
  • notsoblue
    vermin wrote:
    @NSB
    Have you been to Liverpool? Everything you could imagine wanting to get to is within walking distance (similar to the area bounded by Liverpool Street, Aldgate, Tower Hill, and Monument tubes). I can only imagine that they are planning to put stations into residential areas, otherwise there just seems no point at all.

Yeah, I've only been to Liverpool once a long time ago. I guess if its *that* small then it may not be of much use. Are there any large parks or anything? The cycle hire scheme in Bath has fallen a bit flat from what I've heard, the cycle stations aren't in useful places and you don't save any time over having walked the same distance. I suppose the reason why it works so well in London is that there are cycle stations pretty much anywhere you'd want to go.
  • vermin
    Nice to see they are giving it a go though.

@Mudcow - you have PM
  • mudcow007
    notsoblue wrote:

Yeah, I've only been to Liverpool once a long time ago. I guess if its *that* small then it may not be of much use. Are there any large parks or anything? The cycle hire scheme in Bath has fallen a bit flat from what I've heard, the cycle stations aren't in useful places and you don't save any time over having walked the same distance. I suppose the reason why it works so well in London is that there are cycle stations pretty much anywhere you'd want to go.

i can imagine they will put a docking station at the Albert dock (touristy) an maybe at st george's hall.

as a mate just mentioned the bikes are like elephants, large, heavy an grey...interesting but i still dont want to ride one 8)
    vermin wrote:
    Nice to see they are giving it a go though.

@Mudcow - you have PM

Replied...
  • That's a 1000 Xmas presents sorted the year it goes live :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Reading's also been given £20m (I think) to get a bicycle scheme up and running for 500 (again I think) bikes. Reading's even smaller than Liverpool, I have no idea where the council think people are going to cycle to.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    gbsahne wrote:
    Reading's also been given £20m (I think) to get a bicycle scheme up and running for 500 (again I think) bikes. Reading's even smaller than Liverpool, I have no idea where the council think people are going to cycle to.
    Caversham.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What they should really do, is link all these systems together. I've heard of people using Boris Bikes for:
    London-Brighton
    Muddy Hell
    Dunwich Dynamo
    Olympic RR course (including multiple Box Hill laps)

If they link the systems up properly you could ride a Boris Bike from London to Liverpool (or Bath, or Reading) and "return" it at the other end.

I think the one in Montreal uses the same hardware...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    TGOTB wrote:
    What they should really do, is link all these systems together. I've heard of people using Boris Bikes for:
    London-Brighton
    Muddy Hell
    Dunwich Dynamo
    Olympic RR course (including multiple Box Hill laps)

If they link the systems up properly you could ride a Boris Bike from London to Liverpool (or Bath, or Reading) and "return" it at the other end.

I think the one in Montreal uses the same hardware...

London to Montreal?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gbsahne001
    TGOTB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    Caversham.

you can walk it in less than 15 minutes
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    gbsahne wrote:

My guess would be Green Park, Town Centre and Suttons Seeds Offices primarily, with a bit of Caversham and maybe Theale thrown in.
  • Gonna be some great bargains in the pubs in Kenny. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    £40000 a bike? crikey
  • gbsahne001
    apreading wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

My guess would be Green Park, Town Centre and Suttons Seeds Offices primarily, with a bit of Caversham and maybe Theale thrown in.

Theale's too far for most people hopping on a BB and the alternative routes to get there are canal, with nasty obstructions at the weir or A4 with hit and miss cycle routes, none of which are conducive to cycle on, I should know, as I go into Reading from the A4, and out through the centre along the A4, through Theale and then on some more.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    gbsahne wrote:

Whitley !

It's a one-way trip for those bikes...
    Misguided Idealist
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    gbsahne wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

Theale's too far for most people hopping on a BB and the alternative routes to get there are canal, with nasty obstructions at the weir or A4 with hit and miss cycle routes, none of which are conducive to cycle on, I should know, as I go into Reading from the A4, and out through the centre along the A4, through Theale and then on some more.

Probably a valid point about too far for casual cyclists - also different council, which probably would prevent it alone...

However there are better routes than A4 for much of the way - through Southcote, Fords Farm, Beansheaf Farm (albit this does mean A4 until the Southcode Beefeater). I know this because I cycle that way commuting to Caversham.

I suspect there will also be a station at the university area somewhere.
  • ojo
    ojo Posts: 15
    I think it's a great idea: progressive and dynamic.

They could link up student areas/campuses like Hope, Mossley Hill (Carnatic), LIPA and so on.

the Albert Dock is an obvious one but also some of the areas on the seafront like the works area on Brunswick, the old Festival Gardens and Otterspool.

Or it could fail miserably :(
  • gbsahne001
    apreading wrote:
    However there are better routes than A4 for much of the way - through Southcote, Fords Farm, Beansheaf Farm (albit this does mean A4 until the Southcode Beefeater). I know this because I cycle that way commuting to Caversham.

tried that route, but found it too slow
    apreading wrote:
    I suspect there will also be a station at the university area somewhere.

I agree, and would think the Station / Broad Street as a hub, with Caversham, Thames Valley Uni and business park, Reading University, Madjeski and it's nearby shopping park and possibly Tilehurst, although the hill's going to put most people off. However I can't really imagine what 500 additional bikes being ridden badly / casually is going to do to the already clogged streets.