The wiggle of the USA?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Bit of a niche request, google is just pointing me back towards UK stores!

What are the American equivalents of wiggle/pbk/evans/CRC etc?

Want a Cinelli Vigorelli track frameset but being a tart, want the USA only grey/pink:
cn6346.jpg

Or could just buy the UK version :|
cinelli-vigorelli-2013-black-bike-700x700.jpeg

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Jenson USA?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thought of contacting some of these
    http://batchgeo.com/map/f94ad48252601f8 ... 2742674839
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iPete
    ooo thanks, I'm sure someone on that map can satisfy my tartiness!
  • iPete wrote:
    want the USA only grey/pink

I believe they call it 'graphite' :wink:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Picked up some Avid BB7 SLs from JensenUSA. Mate is over in the US this week so having them delivered to his office while he's there. Pricematched, paid in $, no import tax. W00t
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Probably cheaper to get the UK bike and have some paintwork done on it. If you get stung for duties, US can be a very expensive option.

Besides, matt finishes are terrible!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rolf F wrote:

Disagree!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Rolf F wrote:

Disagree!

Seconded.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You are both wrong! They look nice when new but are hard to clean, it's easy to miss bits of dirt but they still make the bike look grubby and the finish starts polishing and going shiny at rub points.

Gloss is just so much better (and it will be faster too ;) )

I had a matt black mountain bike. Stupid idea!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    I'm not a fan of doing much cleaning so might have to settle for black yellow, it's nice but not niiiice. #tart
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Men should only get a pink bike - or a bike with pink in it/especially a fixie/SS - if they are prepared to ride balls out all the time and do so as though they're in a race with a lightning bolt or trying to race home to catch the wIfe at it with a postman....

FACT.

Why? Pink in SCR terms means "beyond thunderdrome" (that's a real measurement of speed by the way) - you are so far up the food chain that you're beyond clipless, shaved legs, wraparounds, messenger bags or even carbon fibre. Your bike is pink, its so garishly noticable that you have to be faster than everyone otherwise you'll look like a showoff-dick-fakenger on a pink bike. No one wants that, so lightning bolt balls out it is!

You don't believe me? You pull up at the lights on a pink road bike - full lycra, shaved legs, and if there is sufficient competion beside you, you'll see what happens! If a person on the equivilent bike is like a red flag to a bull to us, then imagine what a pink (or yellow) bike will do to the SCR hungry.... Its like a shot of heroin to the thighs....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iPete
    Pink frames aside, does anyone read geometry? Does the Cinelli come across as fractionally more 'relaxed'?
    Element: Cinelli vs T1
    Head angle: 73 vs 74
    Head tube length: 15 vs 14.1
    TT actual: 53.7 vs 54
    TT effective: 54.5 vs 53.6
    BB drop: 5.8 vs 5
    Chainstay: 39.2 vs 38.6
    Wheelbase: 96.6 vs 95.1

• domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    This is a great store but I dont think they do Cinelli.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com
  • iPete
    10 months later :lol:

And an Aeropress on the same day, buzzing or are those coffee shakes?!

884926_650227459456_414622845_o_zps6808428a.jpg
  • :D:D
    left the forum March 2023
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Men should only get a pink bike - or a bike with pink in it/especially a fixie/SS - if they are prepared to ride balls out all the time and do so as though they're in a race with a lightning bolt or trying to race home to catch the wIfe at it with a postman....

FACT.

Why? Pink in SCR terms means "beyond thunderdrome" (that's a real measurement of speed by the way) - you are so far up the food chain that you're beyond clipless, shaved legs, wraparounds, messenger bags or even carbon fibre. Your bike is pink, its so garishly noticable that you have to be faster than everyone otherwise you'll look like a showoff-dick-fakenger on a pink bike. No one wants that, so lightning bolt balls out it is!

You don't believe me? You pull up at the lights on a pink road bike - full lycra, shaved legs, and if there is sufficient competion beside you, you'll see what happens! If a person on the equivilent bike is like a red flag to a bull to us, then imagine what a pink (or yellow) bike will do to the SCR hungry.... Its like a shot of heroin to the thighs....
    Oooooooo!
    I had never considered it until now but I need to get a pink bike NOW!
    :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Cool!
    So did you get it shipped over from JensonUSA etc or bring it back from a visit to the U.S?

(And will you wear that red shirt with the matching pink hearts when you ride it?)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    We all have at least one pink bike, right?
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

FACT.

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    imagine what a pink (or yellow) bike will do to the SCR hungry....

266309?$PDP_MAIN$

Actually no. Yellow doesn't work.

Pink though, pink works.

PinkBikeSideShot_500.jpg
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My mate used to have a pink Ribble, back in the late 80s. It was nice.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Agent57 wrote:

Do you mean it was nice or he was 'nice' :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Might have been a she?
    Usual sexist twaddle. :lol:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Might have been a she?
    Usual sexist twaddle. :lol:

Must have been with a pink bike :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    That Cinelli does look rather good, until now I too hadn't realised how much I need a pink bike.
  • daviesee
    It might be more manly if you called it maglia rosa.

Or, maybe not.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Thread revival, too lazy to start my own. What's the story with import duty from the US? Is there a value under which none is charged, and does it apply to clothing as well as hardware? Looking at importing a jersey I like but don't want to be hit with import duty, charges, VAT etc which could easily double the price, and no, the vendor won't send it as a 'gift'
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Have a look here:
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_cent ... d-Kingdom/
    Minimum thresholds
    Duty is not charged if either the total value of the goods (excluding shipping charges and insurance) does not exceed £135 or the amount of duty payable on any given item, does not exceed £9. Neither duty nor VAT is payable if the total value of the goods (excluding shipping charges and insurance) does not exceed £15.

Best guess is you're looking at a fee of;
    Jersey Cost + Delivery Charge = Items Value
    Items Value + 20% VAT + Delivery Company Handling Fee (Royal Mail, FedEx etc) = Total Amount Payable

So just add 20% plus £8 to £15 for an estimate on what you might get hit with.... unless the jersey is over £135
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Thanks, guess the delivery handling fee is the unknown, could add quite a lot percentage-wise to the cost!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Thanks, guess the delivery handling fee is the unknown, could add quite a lot percentage-wise to the cost!

I had a Marin jersey delivered to my work the other day, and either my work paid the £11 charge, or more likely it just got lost in the huge pile of office mail that came in :-) It had a big sticker on with all the customs charges.

They are a lot hotter on it, above exception excluded, than they used to be alas.

Try and get it sent to work!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18