Uneven muscle build leading to knee pain

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited December 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all,

After a few years of knee pain (in fairness mainly from running but cycling doesn't help), my physio's informed me that the pain is caused by [a] overpronation in my feet and my quads are disproportionately stronger on the outside of my leg - in fact almost all the muscle in my quads is on the outside and this build is from cycling (if I just run I tend to get a more even spread of muscle). Does anyone have any idea's if this is caused by anything I'm possibly doing on the bike (i.e. bad cleat position, poor saddle alignment etc), or is this just something that happens to most cyclists

cheers

Comments

• Generally i've found that cleat lateral position has a significant effect on muscle development. Perhaps try moving your cleats inboard on your shoes a few mm for a couple of weeks, this should encourage you to drive through the inside of the foot more and encourage development on the inside of the knee.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Generally i've found that cleat lateral position has a significant effect on muscle development. Perhaps try moving your cleats inboard on your shoes a few mm for a couple of weeks, this should encourage you to drive through the inside of the foot more and encourage development on the inside of the knee.

excellent, thanks for the advice