Flat Pedals?

bjj.andy.w
bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Changed to flat pedals from clipless about five years ago. For me it was the opposite, as in the ability to get going again easily on a hill without the hassle of trying to clip back in. Was always a bit sceptical of flats, didn't think that they would offer the same level of peddling efficiency due to the fact I'm not connected to my bike. However, with the right combination of pedals and footwear the grip is every bit as good IMO.
When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't get clogged up with mud and/or snow neither. Which may not be a major problem there.
    Just personal preference, like Shimano (yay) and Sram (yah boo sucks).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    They're not as gay! ;-) My main reason for using flats is dabbing on corners etc, can't get out of the habbit, don't really want to. Like to slide a lot of corners, especially in winter and a dab can initiate this slide. Not saying that's proper technique, but it's fun for me, couldn't do it with spds so would equal less fun for me.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You're just not riding terrain that's technical enough!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The performance advantage of flats, for many, is that they like them more than SPDs. Can't think of a bigger one tbh.

They do have some advantages, it's obviously easier to dab than with SPDs. Also easier to restart on techy sections, foot up and go. And from a rider point of view, SPDs can tolerate bad habits, whereas flats tend to brutally punish them. (whenever you come across a SPD rider who tries flats and has their feet come off all the time, they're actually just finding out that they have teqhnique issues, but would rather blame the pedals than fix that)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Northwind wrote:
    SPDs can tolerate bad habits, whereas flats tend to brutally punish them.
    This. I switched to flats from SPDs mainly to learn proper technique, but found them to be so much more comfortable/confidence inspiring I haven't gone back. In fact, I recently re-tried my SPDs and it was horrible. Whole ride felt like I was standing on a couple of golf balls, no confidence on anything technical as I was paranoid about unclipping the whole time. Safe to say they're now on the roadie
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Pro downhillers switch between the two depending on conditions/type of course. What does that tell you?

There is no "right" answer, go with whatever works for you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Northwind wrote:
    The performance advantage of flats, for many, is that they like them more than SPDs. Can't think of a bigger one tbh.

They do have some advantages, it's obviously easier to dab than with SPDs. Also easier to restart on techy sections, foot up and go. And from a rider point of view, SPDs can tolerate bad habits, whereas flats tend to brutally punish them. (whenever you come across a SPD rider who tries flats and has their feet come off all the time, they're actually just finding out that they have teqhnique issues, but would rather blame the pedals than fix that)
    Is it really a technique issue though, like you say SPD can tolerate bad habits. If the kit allows it then there's nothing wrong with it and sometimes it simply provides a mechanical advantage (i assume you're referring to the whole using them to keep your feet on the pedals thing).

Flats also tolerate bad habits such as dabbing feet (really isn't ever needed, it just shows a lack of confidence and ability to commit).

Full suspension can tolerate bad habits (poor line choice that would have you in the hedge on a HT).

So really it isn't a bad habit as it doesn't cause any harm when done using SPD and i know for sure I, and i'd bet most SPD riders could easily learn flat technique again within a short timeframe of going back to them if they did (because i often switch between the two).

I don't ride like i'm on a hardtail when im on my full suss because it allows me to be lazy, so why would i ride like i have flats when im clipped in :wink: Lots of people i've seen can only justify flats because they're scared they wont unclip on technical terrain.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Is it really a technique issue though, like you say SPD can tolerate bad habits. If the kit allows it then there's nothing wrong with it and sometimes it simply provides a mechanical advantage (i assume you're referring to the whole using them to keep your feet on the pedals thing).

Nope, it's still impairing your riding, it's just possible to get away with it. With flats, you've got no choice to work with the bike, with SPDs you can be working against it and just dragging it along with you, which reduces traction, works the bike harder, and generally reduces control. It's like the difference between balancing a drink on a tray, and holding a drink in your hand- with the latter you'll never drop the glass but you can still spill it.

Was quite eye-opening when I did my first riding coaching... 5 racy SPD users, one non-racy flatpedal me. The number of times I heard "drop your heels, drop your heels, drop your heels", it was like a stuck record but I never heard it said to me once. And not because I'm wicked or owt, most of the rest of the group were better than me in most ways (now mostly off winning xc races in fact!) but just because they were used to dragging their bikes along with them.

Oh, and to say dabbing is never needed and only shows a lack of confidence and commitment isn't right at all- sometimes that's the cause, but not always, sometimes it is "foot down or crash". Tell Sam Hill he lacks confidence and commitment ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it doesn't. Of the people I ride with, some ride flats some SPD's. We ride mountain bikes on all sorts of stuff except tar.
    It's whatever makes your bum hum .
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools