Rubbing disc brake

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, hopefully I can explain this properly....

I noticed that the rear disc was rubbing on something. So I popped the pads out and had a look at them - they are fine. I then spun the wheel and noticed that the disc is still rubbing. The disc is rubbing against the rear mount (not sure of the technical name of it). ie with the pads removed, the disc rubs against the mount were it's narrower - formula rx brakes.

I found this picture online which might help explain:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-35528

the disc is rubbing against the inner edge of the white 'pocket' just below the pads on the bottom right of the photo.

So how do I readjust the set-up so the disc is central and not rubbing? I see there are a few screws on the mount but I don't want to mess about until I get some advice!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the hub, rotor (and size) and frame?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So is it rubbing the frame, the adaptor between that and the caliper or the brake caliper (the white bit you stick the pads in).

If, as it sounds, its the caliper, you need to recentre it, refit the pads after pushing both pistons back, loosen the 2 bolts mounting the caliper to the adaptor so it's free to move sideways, pull the lever and then holding it pulled do up the mounting bolts a bit at a time...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers the beginner.

That has more or less done the trick. There is still a very minor rub against the pad this time but the wheel so infinitely more free than before! Before, when I spun the wheel it would only go round 4-5 times!
    Maybe when I take it for a spin the rubbing on the pad will disapear. otherwise, I'll try resetting again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's been run poorly centered it's possible the pads are worn off square and need to bed back in again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.