Washing Kit

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited December 2012 in Road general
Am I wrong to presume that I can wash my bibs, jersey etc just with something normal like Ariel?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You also need a handmaiden but no softener in the wash for the bibs.. inserts and lycra dont need it anyways
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I use liquid non-bio and no softener, dont know if this is the best way but its the way i wash my microfibres that i clean the car/bike with and they need looking after.....
    Cheers, Stu
  • I just normal Tesco/Sainsburys 2in1 liqui capsules that go in the machine. Wash at 30 on delicates wash. Never had any probs & kit comes out great & never suffers any.
  • I just normal Tesco/Sainsburys 2in1 liqui capsules that go in the machine. Wash at 30 on delicates wash. Never had any probs & kit comes out great & never suffers any.

Looks like i'll get 'er in doors to get some non bio liqui tabs then! - Thanks guys..

Just spent a few £££ on some nice kit and last thing i wanted to do was ruin it by washing it incorrectly.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Non-bio is the key but I'd also recommend going a step further and using Halo Sports Wash, it works a lot better than normal supermarket non-bio at low temps IME. Tesco sometimes stock it, not sure where else does.
  • nferrar wrote:
    Non-bio is the key but I'd also recommend going a step further and using Halo Sports Wash, it works a lot better than normal supermarket non-bio at low temps IME. Tesco sometimes stock it, not sure where else does.

Thanks! :)
  • nferrar wrote:

+1 for Halo.

Cos it's anti-bacterial it seems to make kit smell better for longer, especially base layers!

I get mine from Tesco, and it's cheaper than most branded detergents too!!
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I have been using non-bio for ages, as I read that the enzymes in bio liquid cause damage to wool. However I think bio cleans my non-merino clothes better... they certainly smell less after washing!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Tesco have their own brand anti bac sports wash too, it's a small clear (ish) bottle and it's green liquid, cheaper than halo (which works really well btw) I only got the own brand because the new huge tesco doesn't stock halo unlike the smaller one that's futher away (beats me)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    nferrar wrote:

+1 for Halo.

Cos it's anti-bacterial it seems to make kit smell better for longer, especially base layers!

I get mine from Tesco, and it's cheaper than most branded detergents too!!

I'm a Halo man too.. I just find that normal detergents can't get the stubborn odours at the lower temps.
  • pmk
    pmk Posts: 8
    Halo works - but Tesco don't seem to stock it any more however you can get it from wiggle delivered to your door cheaper than Tesco.
  • I dont wash mine.... the wife does. 8)
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    All my kit just gets washed at 30° with non-bio Persil. If odours are a big problem, try some merino or sportwool kit.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Halo Sportswash, don't use anything else.