Which cloud server

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
I use an Apple Mac and make use of their iCloud service. Need more storage and to increase it, Apple charge a lot. I know pcworld do their own which allows me to store more for a cheaper price. Is this worth doing? Or are there comparability issues? Or do you use something else?

Thanks

Comments

• DropBox
    Box.Net
    Google drive
    Spideroak

to name but a few. Even your ISP probably gives you some storage space - it all depends upon what you want to do with it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Call me old fashioned but with 250Gb of music, 100Gb of films and 35Gb of photos I would rather trust a couple of external hard drives.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Agree with tiredofwhiners, all do the same just have a look and pick what works best for you. Personally went for Google Drive. Works well, integrates with my PC + phone, no problems at all... a bit like all the others really :-)
  • I was thinking of cloud backup rather than a new external hard drive in case we have a disaster at home. If the drive gets damaged then all data is lost. With the cloud hopefully everything is secure from all but "acts of god"
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    johnboy183 wrote:
    I was thinking of cloud backup rather than a new external hard drive in case we have a disaster at home. If the drive gets damaged then all data is lost. With the cloud hopefully everything is secure from all but "acts of god"
    I guess that was directed at my response. I fully agree. Which is why I have one HD at home and one at work for dual redundancy but I use a laptop so the portability is there.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.