Need new pedals

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I need a new set of pedals (flats) thinking about the latest Shimano Saints. Anyone using them?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• Well I am but I've only ridden with them once and they're my first flat pedals after about 18 years on spds! So not a very good person to comment. They seem solid enough so far. Plenty of spare pins included. That's pretty much all I can say at the mo!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • How much do you want to spend?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • widge34 wrote:
    I need a new set of pedals (flats) thinking about the latest Shimano Saints. Anyone using them?
    Just bought a pair for my new build as there were no Nano tech's in black available - useless reply I know as I've not tried them yet.
    You can adjust the pin lengths by removing the washers.
  • widge34
    I want to spend £40-50. The saints are £45. It's either these or Superstars nano pedals.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I used nanos and really can't fault them. The saints are good but are very heavy. For me it would be the nanos over any other flat pedal.
  • A review of the Saints has appeared on this website, seems to confirm what I found during a ridiculously wet and muddy trip to Bedgebury on Sunday - didn't slip off at all (with Five Ten Freeriders - finally dried yesterday :roll: ).
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    /\ the same for which would be the case for almost any flat pedal with pins (proper replaceable pins, not the cast dimple type efforts) when used with good shoes, 5 10's, AM41's etc. etc.
  • Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm using Outland flats not that expensive either about 365 grams
  • lawman
    I'm using Outland flats not that expensive either about 365 grams

light, cheap, but shit, very, shit. A guy at uni last year bought some and they lasted all of 2 months before the bearings were shot and spares were a nightmare.
  • widge34
    Taken the plunge and purchased the Saints from Tweeks £45 :-)
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike are they for?
  • widge34
    My Stumjumper.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Wellgo MG1
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Can't go wrong with Nanos (thin and tough) or MG1s (light) tbh but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Saints either.

Shop around for Nanos- sometimes Superstar are cheap, sometimes Readytoride, sometimes Exotic, but they come in loads of different brands.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman wrote:
    I used nanos and really can't fault them. The saints are good but are very heavy. For me it would be the nanos over any other flat pedal.
    I agree the Nanos are very good but weight wise aren't Saints about the same as the Nano thru pin, sure the Nano tech are lighter .
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    I agree the Nanos are very good but weight wise aren't Saints about the same as the Nano thru pin, sure the Nano tech are lighter .

According to the bikeradar review the saints are 499g, thru pins are claimed as the same, but my nano's were 437g so slightly under the claimed weight.