Crash damage repair - sram front mech swapped for 105

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited December 2012 in The workshop
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of insight. In peoples experience are 105 front mechs compatible with SRAM Apex shifters?

Recently had a minor crash on my Boardman CX team & LBS diagnosed bent front mech, swapped the sram one for a 105 one. However when I put bike on stand tonight the chain was rubbing the cage on the inside both on the large & small front chainrings, & not just on the "extreme" gears (although even this was never a problem before).

I had a play with the limit screws & it seems to make little or no difference, even really loosening the low limit screw. Makes me think set up is not right.

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road front mechs use a different cable pull and are designed for different size chainrings, you're wasting your time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Thanks, but dont understand this answer because the Sram was a road mech & the boardman is basically a road bike!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it goes on how much the gear changer (shifter) pulls of the cable though

not on just because the derailier is from a road bike

shimano an Sram have different pull "amounts"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The shifting will be fine from experience but it's probably just that the 105 mech has a slightly different shaped cage that allows you to run more extreme gears.

Same thing happens when using a 9spd mtb mech on an 8spd system.