Is the LAS pista helmet suitable for time trials?

pauli
pauli Posts: 59
edited December 2012 in Amateur race
Was wanting to know if you could use the las pista helmet for time trialing, and would it give you the same advantage of a time trial specific helmet. kask helmets have brought one out without a tail for the time trials and is around 300 quid where the LAS is 120 quid. What would the difference be if the shape is similar?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Short answer, depends.
  • Yup depends on lots of things. How easy it is to make you part with your cash. What shape you're noggin / back sit in etc. Really depends. dont ask me though, im just thick.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    As it is designed for track use it would probably be too hot. It would not be as aero as a proper TT helmet either. Which to get is a bit of a minefield though. You need to look at fit, how it sits when in a TT position, do you want a visor or not. The list goes on and probably ends at personal wind tunnel testing.
    I just went for the one that fitted me, just touched my back when in position and had the smallest frontal area. I ended up with a Giro Advantage 2.
  • pauli
    pauli Posts: 59
    Thanks everyone, but at the moment I have a rudy project tt helmet but regardless of my position on the bike the back seems to be up in the air. Would this cause drag?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    pauli wrote:
    Thanks everyone, but at the moment I have a rudy project tt helmet but regardless of my position on the bike the back seems to be up in the air. Would this cause drag?

Yes
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    pauli wrote:
    Try a few other ones on to find one that does not stick up when on the extensions. It probably will when on the base bar though. Check club mates etc.