superstar rotors?

nick-gti
nick-gti Posts: 131
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
anyone had any experience of superstars rotors.
Mixed reviews on there website about the thicknessof them causing probems.
I've got brand new calipers and pads and can't be chewed with faffing about bleeding them etc to fit the rotor in

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well lets see Superstar have quite a range of rotors.

most are the same as any others out there. and who would be thinking about floating rotors.

a rotor is a rotor is a rotor. Poor brake set up is the biggest issue. and floaters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And bleeding is not a solution to fitting rotors anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nick-gti
    If the rotor is thicker than the norm I will have to push the piston back a bit n may need to bleed them?
    Was the normal rotors I was thinking about getting
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got some. They are absolutely fine.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nope, you may have to release the tiniest bit of fluid but they wont need bled, and chances are they'll just fit straight in. The rotors with more bits cut out of them tend to do worse (flame i think) and chew the pads.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    +1 - they re fine...

It's a spinning disc of metal after all, not much that can go wrong...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nick-gti
    Cheers I'll give them a whirl then
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Superstars ones are slightly thicker than stock discs from Avid and Shimano.

Did it bother me? Not a lot, no.

I had to purge a dinky amount of fluid when I fitted them, because new pads went in at the same time, but that was it.

I'd certainly buy them again, especially at that price.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The floating ones are a bit pointless but so are all floating rotors. The standard ones are as good as anything else
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rotor thickness has nothing to do with much at all as you should be bleeding the brakes with the pistons fully home so rotor thickness has no bearing on it.

unless of cause the brakes have been incorrectly bled.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nick-gti wrote:
    anyone had any experience of superstars rotors.
    If you're thinking about Superstar's floating rotors I've got four pairs and they are all ace.

In terms of thickness they are the same as any other rotor but if anything they are not ground quite as microscopically smooth as Shimano's finest for example and they are a bit draggy to begin with especially with new pads but after 2-3 rides they bed in and spin freely.

If you're going to have any problems it will be with the 160s. Clearances are super-tight between the studs holding the rotor to the spider and the caliper. I had to file the paint off the trailing edge of one caliper (596s IIRC) but some Juicys went straight on.

The 180s and the 203s share a different spider and clearance is not so critical. They are nice rotors - smooth, as powerful as Avid/Shimano originals and above all silent.

Personally I would avoid the coloured rotors but the black ones look great combined with black hubs & rims. Also have some white ones on the Voltage:
    dsc0019xk.jpg
    dsc0021ds.jpg
  • nick-gti
    Thanks for that mate, I may consider the floating ones if i'm feeling flush.
    I'm running the same calipers you have posted, but mine are brand spanking new with new pads looking forward to getting them fitted :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nick-gti wrote:
    I'm running the same calipers you have posted, but mine are brand spanking new with new pads looking forward to getting them fitted :)
    But why would you? Unless you're an idiot. More money, possible hassles, absolutely no benefit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nick-gti wrote:
    Absolutely no problems with Elixirs. Remove the old rotors, fit the new ones, ride off
  • nick-gti
    cooldad wrote:
    nick-gti wrote:
    But why would you? Unless you're an idiot. More money, possible hassles, absolutely no benefit.

Just looking at the price of the floating ones actually i think I'd rather buy the proper avid ones for that price, didn't realise how much they where.

I've got a old pair of elixirs on at the moment i bought 2nd hand they ran good for a month or so then seals seem to have gone as they have gone spongey as hell now, so bought some new ones :)
  • ....then a bit of time down the road wonder what that clunking is and realise that your floaters are actually floating.

Solid steel, fit a forget for a fair few years.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    cooldad wrote:
    nick-gti wrote:

It's all about da Bling Bling (pronounced Blang...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Innittttttttt........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Floating rotors are a useful idiot-marker- they're never better than standard, can be worse, got extra points of failure and aren't even massively light. If your brakes are overheating, either get better brakes, or stop dragging your brakes.

I had a Superstar rotor, the one that looks identical to the standard Tektro one. The holes were drilled offcentre, so it went in the bin.
    Uncompromising extremist