derailleur hanger

kayvan
kayvan Posts: 39
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi every body
i over tightened the hex bolt of derailleur hanger on my specialized camber 29er elite and it broke in half.i know stupid mistake.but almost half of the screw is still in and after few rides the rear mech works perfectly and no issue.i want to know wether im going to have to replace the hanger or its ok to ride it this way.
thank you all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what broke, the hanger or a bolt?
    And which bolt.
    But I would replace any broken bolt - only a matter of time before it ends in tears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    For the sake of a few pounds now I'd rather change it than have to replace it, the mech, and rear wheel when it finally decides to let go.
  • What CD says.

If it is the hanger bolt, that does nothing until you remove the wheel, then you'll wish you had a working one.
  • kayvan
    thanks a lot for quick reply.its the bolt which attaches the hanger to frame and i guess thats true if i remove the wheel then its gonna be a problem.but the bolt head came off and the remaining of it is still screwed through the hanger and frame.how can i sort that out? now i can not remove the hanger.
  • Drill it carefully. It's made of not very stern stuff.
  • cooldad
    Is it a hex bolt or a chainwheel type bolt?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kayvan
    a hex bolt(5 mm allenkey)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a chain ring bolt, same thing though innit - just an M8 bolt.

It doesn't do anything other than stop the mech falling off when you take the wheel out but I'd still replace it, shouldn't be difficult to remove, unless you've made a proper mess you should just be able to jam a torx piece in there and twist it out, shouldn't need drilling.
  • kayvan
    thank you njee
    no not a mess at all but imagine i live some where in which i do not have quick access to spesh spare parts.since there is nothing i can put an allen or torx key in(the bolt broke and half of it came off )can you please tell me more details about disconnecting the hanger from the frame? and can i just use another proper bolt?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    43994?$Hero$

ís your hanger like this?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kayvan
    hi nicklouse no its not like that picture but specialized part no. is 9895-4020 if that helps or stated elsewhere as dh 65.
  • cooldad
    specialized-hanger-2006-mountain-frames.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kayvan
    yes great cooldad its exactly like the picture.so its a chain ring kind of bolt and when i remove the wheel im supposed to undo the female part using a flat screw driver and itll come off.and next im going to have to find same installation bolts not a hanger itself.am i right? honestly i wish i could get the whole original parts asap but i have to wait for couple of weeks .any alternatives? thanks again.
  • austy
    austy Posts: 5
    If I am reading your post correctly and the bolt is snapped then the mech hanger should fall off when you remove the wheel as all that is holding it in place is the axle.

I bought a new hanger pre emptively and still in my camelbak and it came with a new bolt.

Was about £10 from JE James cycles, postage is free if you spend over £15.

This way you'll get a new bolt and a spare mech hanger and if you break the new mech hanger just use the new bolt on the original hanger.