Training tips for an overweight Noobie

bunji81
bunji81 Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
hey all,

Well I've been getting more and more int MTB'ing and absolutely loving it, however I find myself having to either push the bike or end my trails earlier than I'd like, unfortunately my physichal ability doesnt quite match my enthusiasm :(
I'm 18st, 5'9" ex rugby player (I'll leave the visuals to yourself :lol: ) my Biggest problem is the hills, as soon as I get to the inclines im really struggling, the energy just dissapears from my legs and I find myself pushing (which I hate)

Im trying to get back into shape via the MTB'ing however this as alsways is drawn out process, Could anyone please help me out with any tips I can use which may help my hill climbing problem, and bring a little more enjoyment back into my ride. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Comments

• craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i'm trying to get my fitness back too so i know how you feel - my mind says the hill isnt steep but my body has other ideas! what i have found is saddle hight can make a huge difference if it's set too low it saps power out your legs on climbs really quick so you could try that, the only other thing i can think of is to do more climbing its the best thing for making it easier - theres no short cut im afraid your pushing your weight + bike up a hill , ts is always going to be harder for us than a 10 stone whippit on the climbs the flip side is gravity is our friend on the downs :twisted:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • None, just get more miles in. The more you do the more your body will respond, you'll get fitter, if you manage your diet then your weight will come off, this will mean that your power/weight improves so you'll be faster/better everywhere and so it continues.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use really low gears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Start running...seriously this improved my stamina no end. I can easily ride up hills now without getting out of breath that I had to stop and push before.

Have a go at the nhs couch 2 5km running program. They provide mp3s so you just need an mp3 player and a bit of motivation to get up and go! Theres a link here

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx
  • Thanks for all the tips guys, I can see the logic in the running, and have already downloaded the NHS C25K :lol:
    As mentioned by craigw99 there are no shortcuts, and to be honest im not expecting there to be any, Down hills, are fun though as a fat lad ;)

There are a few roads in my local area that are quite steep, so may try a form of hill training on them i.e. going up and down them till I can do so with a level of ease.
  • I can't offer any real advise other than support.

I was nearing 14st the last 6 months, which standing at 5'9'' isn't a good thing. I live at the bottom of a hill, so if I want to go anywhere I've got to ride uphill straight away. I'm now 12.1st (although alot of that was achieved through the gym, I was only using exercise bikes in any case so it was still cycling). I now only cycle and never visit the gym, its so much more gratifying to actually be moving while exercising!

After only a few weeks riding I noticed I wasn't having as much trouble getting up the hill (I used to have to push it) and it was a really nice feeling.

So all I can really say it just get into as low a gear as possible and don't try and bomb up any hills, just go slow and aim for the top. It's a great feeling when you realize you can get up that same hill easier than the previous week, and its instant feedback that your fitness is increasing.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Just ride, then ride more. 12 months ago I was 18 stone and now I am 14 stone. Watched what I ate a bit but nothing silly. Laid off the beer a little I guess but still have enough to enjoy.

For me the key was x country racing. A mate got me into it. I am crap and finish at the back every time, but I am improving and it is great motivation to train and push myself.

Good luck mate and stick in there. I gets easier and it gets much more enjoyable.
  • Thanks Gamblor and raldat for your posts, its encouraging to know that others have been in the same situation and that positive results can be acheived :)

Think I may start a Blog to track my Progress...... Hmmmmm (would anyone actually read it??)
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Me neither.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Bike 2/3 times a week, gradually increase your mileage. Don't stop, you're in pain already, you're hurt, you might aswell keep going and get something out of it! Mental failure occurs long before true muscle failure. Download podcasts to help you with training whilst you ride.

Also get in the gym, train with weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench, chin ups, shoulder press. The weight will fall off, doing heavy weights burns a shit load of calories.

But ultimately eat clean, calorie deficit or you'll not lose an ounce! A safe and sustainable way to do this is below:

Firstly, calcualte your BMR - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Secondly calculate yout total calorie needs - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Then simply take 10-20% of that number, subtract it and eat that many calories. You'll lose weight and in a sustainable way, not like some shit weight watchers diet.

Use this to count your calories -http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Also available as an app, with barcode scanner tomake things easier.

It'll not happen over night but you'll be a ripped beast in a year, maybe. Dedication...
  • I prefer the double pronged approach, do more and eat less.
  • dont worry its completely normal to struggle with hills at the start for a good while, you will slowly get better at the hills, really slowly haha
  • running will help your cycing
    cycling will help your running.

but running is the best exersise you could do
    sight 3 se
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Gamblor wrote:
    I was nearing 14st the last 6 months, which standing at 5'9'' isn't a good thing. I live at the bottom of a hill, so if I want to go anywhere I've got to ride uphill straight away. I'm now 12.1st (although alot of that was achieved through the gym, I was only using exercise bikes in any case so it was still cycling).

GAMBLOR - you lost 2 stone in the gym mainly Cycling. I'd like to see your training plans if thats at all possible?

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Getting up hills is 50% fitness, 50% gearing, most people try and climb hills in far to high a gear, your legs should be spinning at 80-90rpm, which is at least 50% faster than you will do naturally and about twice the speed most people will climb at, it's far less tiring and much much easier, also off road it's easier to maintin consistent effort and reduce wheelspin ( After some practice I can climb muddy banks with the front wheel just skipping the surface for best traction with steering)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JB69
    JB69 Posts: 7
    I started biking again in the summer (early 40's) and to date have lost 2 stone - just cycling and eating a bit better but nothing hardcore diet wise. When I started I was wiped after a mile but I kept at it - went out every other day at the start (which you wont be able to do this time of year) and kept plugging away. After a couple of months started to gain some real fitness and now I can do 30 miles. For me the discipline of going out every other day was key and I did this for 3 months solid grinding out the miles.
  • worb68 wrote:
    Gamblor wrote:
    I was nearing 14st the last 6 months, which standing at 5'9'' isn't a good thing. I live at the bottom of a hill, so if I want to go anywhere I've got to ride uphill straight away. I'm now 12.1st (although alot of that was achieved through the gym, I was only using exercise bikes in any case so it was still cycling).

GAMBLOR - you lost 2 stone in the gym mainly Cycling. I'd like to see your training plans if thats at all possible?

Thanks.

Just to clarify, I didn't loose 2 stone, when I stared I was nearing 14 stone. My actual weight was 86kg (13.5 stone) and I'm now 77kg (12.1 stone).

I was doing a 5 minute run as a warm up, 50 minutes on the exercise bike and a 5 minute cool down walk on the treadmill. I also walked to and from the gym (about 20 minutes each way)

I was extremely careful with what I was eating as well at the time.

Although loosing that amount of weight was really satisfying, doing 50 minutes a day on an exercise bike was not. It felt like hours just due to the boredom factor of it all.

I much prefer actually cycling places even if it might not take as long, and I might not burn as many calories in the long run, having a starting point and a finish point is much more satisfying for me. It's a hard one to explain, but cause when on the exercise bike at the gym it was like I had less motivation, as I knew I could just stop any time I wanted, whereas with cycling even if I'm knackered I can't just stop and give up, like it or lump it I've gotta get home/get to where I'm going.

Hope that clears it up a bit :)
  • Gamblor wrote:
    whereas with cycling even if I'm knackered I can't just stop and give up, like it or lump it I've gotta get home/get to where I'm going.

The old russion roulette routine, you either make it home or end up collapsed in a ditch :lol:
  • Gamblor wrote:
    whereas with cycling even if I'm knackered I can't just stop and give up, like it or lump it I've gotta get home/get to where I'm going.

The old russion roulette routine, you either make it home or end up collapsed in a ditch :lol:

Pretty much lol, I find it to be a good motivator
  • The Rookie
    Gamblor wrote:
    Although loosing that amount of weight was really satisfying, doing 50 minutes a day on an exercise bike was not. It felt like hours just due to the boredom factor of it all.
    Simples, when I'm overseas on business I prop a book on the bars and read that.

In the UK I have a bike already so why spend money on a Gym....just get on the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Gamblor - thanks for confirming your training plans.
  • Bunji, i suggest doing plenty of cardio excercise to gain stamina, being fitter and lighter. The following article might be of your interest...

http://www.ezwanismail.com/2012/11/lose ... r.html?m=1

Cheers!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Bunji, i suggest doing plenty of cardio excercise to gain stamina, being fitter and lighter. The following article might be of your interest...

Cheers!

Why would you start jogging if you're a cyclist?

Absolutely pointless, just ride your bike instead!
  • cooldad
    styxd wrote:
    Bunji, i suggest doing plenty of cardio excercise to gain stamina, being fitter and lighter. The following article might be of your interest...

Cheers!

No it isn't. I'm not a big fan of jogging - silly 70's fad, but running will get you fitter a lot quicker than cycling. You need to cycle for 2 or 3 hours to get the same workout as an hour's running.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • styxd
    cooldad wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Cheers!

No it isn't. I'm not a big fan of jogging - silly 70's fad, but running will get you fitter a lot quicker than cycling. You need to cycle for 2 or 3 hours to get the same workout as an hour's running.

:lol:
  • cooldad wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Cheers!

correct
    sight 3 se
  • styxd
    cooldad wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Cheers!

correct

If you want to get better at riding up hills on your bike, ride your bike up hills. Don't start running.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    So 2-3 hours of enjoyment on an MTB versus an hours boredom.....

Seriously though, I have knee issues from when I was a kid (car accident, no rear seatbelts), running for me is not really an option.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You can't go to just running an hour a day either, and even if you do some running you can't expect to do that day after day with no injuries.

If you're very short on time then a run can be more beneficial for sure, but if you want to be a better cyclist you need to do more cycling.