Opinions on Carrera Vulcan

Gamblor
Gamblor Posts: 84
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
My first post on this forum, although I've lurked alot in the last month or so.

Bit of bike history, basically I'm a novice who knows practically nothing about mountain biking. This is reflected in my current bike, an Apollo FS26 :D

I bought the Apollo to replace a bike that was stolen as I need a bike for work and money was extremely tight at the time. That was about 4 years ago, I rode it at least 3-4 times a week for about a year and then stopped, not for any particular reason, it has just served its purpose for me really and I gradually lost interest.

It then spent the next year on my balcony open to the elements. I then started going to the gym for a while in an effort to loose weight, and after persevering with that for 2 months or so I became sick of the sight of the place and decided to try and just cycle everywhere if possible as a means of keeping fit, as I enjoy it much more.

These last 6 weeks or so I've been riding everywhere I can, and thoroughly enjoying it again. Needless to say, the Apollo (which was god awful to begin with) hasn't taken to this renewed interest well, and I feel it's on its last legs. I contemplated putting it in for a comprehensive service at the local bike shop but I'd be looking at £35-£50 excluding parts and the more I thought about it, the more I thought of the old saying "You can't polish a turd"

I'm not an enthusiast (yet!) like alot of you here, I really just wanted something to get from A-B be that via road, grass or woodlands and it's evident that the Apollo isn't it.

Long story short I've decided to upgrade, and after alot of searching a second hand Carrera Vulcan was named time and time again as the best value for money for my needs, both on this forum and general google searches as a whole.

I've arranged to buy one off Gumtree (I'll be going to collect it Saturday).

I'm mainly asking a couple of questions here really:

[*]How can I tell the age of a bike? The guy says its not been used in the last 2 years, but I don't know if that means its a 2011 model or not. It's got the red paint job, which I'm led to believe means its more likely 2007-2008

[*] Is there anything I should especially look out for as telltale signs of a poor deal?

[*]At £100, is it the bargain I've been led to believe it is?

Heres the full advert for reference

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carer ... 1002663277

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    1. The serial number will tell you the age on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell

2. Worn drivetrain (chain, cassette, rings), fork should feel smooth, no dents/cracks in frame, wheels are true ....

3. Depends on the age of the bike and the spec, can't really see much from the pics.

Well done on deciding to buy that rather than shell out on the apollo though :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ask him for the full spec and post again. Whether it's a bargain depends on that and what's shot as Greer said. Check the forks out very carefully - vv expensive to sort out. Look vaguely like Marzocchi Bombers from the pic.
    I'd offer £70-£75. Just for fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now showing as sold......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Sometimes you can roughly age a bike based on colour and spec. of componets. I
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I'm going to collect it on Saturday so he must have removed the advert.

The advert said
    This has been rarely used for the past 2 years but when it was used has been a brilliant off road bike. Please excuse the dirty condition it is in just have not had time to clean it. But will be cleaned before selling. In brilliant condition and has after market front forks and gear changer and after market derailer to.

$(KGrHqRHJCoFBzbJ!CTMBQmMTuzsm!~~48_80.JPG

I'm interested in seeing what aftermarket forks he's put on, although I don't know the first thing about them. Is there any brands I should be looking out for?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have the blue vulcan which is 2.5 years old for me, and the red one predates that.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-07-27707

review is 07 so could be 5 years old.
  • zx6man wrote:
    I have the blue vulcan which is 2.5 years old for me, and the red one predates that.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-07-27707

review is 07 so could be 5 years old.

Yeah I saw that review and thought it might be an 07/08 one.

Should be alright though, hopefully
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Personally I would not be paying £100 for it. Something more like £75/80 would be more suitable for that age Vulcan. Just to add to what Greer said, ensure there is no sideways play In the bottom bracket by trying to wiggle the cranks left and right, and do the same with the wheels too. Check the fork stanchions for any scratches as if there are any you could get him to drop the price on that.

The important thing is to just make sure your are happy with it, besure to give it a quick test ride too. Any doubts, just ask the guy who is sellin it.
  • oxocube1 wrote:
    Personally I would not be paying £100 for it. Something more like £75/80 would be more suitable for that age Vulcan. Just to add to what Greer said, ensure there is no sideways play In the bottom bracket by trying to wiggle the cranks left and right, and do the same with the wheels too. Check the fork stanchions for any scratches as if there are any you could get him to drop the price on that.

The important thing is to just make sure your are happy with it, besure to give it a quick test ride too. Any doubts, just ask the guy who is sellin it.

I tried to get him to drop the price when I enquired about it but he wasn't having any of it. From what I can tell the going rate (as far as gumtree/ebay is concerned) seems to be around the £100 mark for one as old as this one.

The newer ones go for around the £150-£250 mark it would seem.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carer ... 1005006976

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carer ... 1004959898

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carre ... 1004911581

I don't mind paying slightly more than its worth just to have a decent bike really. It seems like I'm not going to get anything better for a rather measly budget of £100.

Having said this, check out this absolute jem on gumtree, a bargain at only £180

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk
  • cooldad
    Gamblor wrote:
    Having said this, check out this absolute jem on gumtree, a bargain at only £180

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk
    No it's not. It's a very nasty BSO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Everything on Gumtree is stolen anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    My new vulcan was 265 notes..
  • that is the 2006/ 2007 frame dad has one, same year as my fury
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've got a red Carrera Vulcan that was bought new in 2008 for £250. Since then I've replaced everything on it apart from the frame and seatpost due to stuff wearing out or being dog turd quality (i.e.forks & brakes) but the frame is still ok even after being abused pretty badly.

There's no reason not to buy one but make sure the wheel/headset/bottom bracket bearings run smooth and have no play.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I had that one, and yes it's an 07. Now being used as a commuter bike with slicks. The frame is of good quality, although very heavy for what it is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Kraken is the same frame as that (the frame was the same from 2006-2011), my son breifly had a blue Vulcan before it was stolen, see link in my sig to what you can do with one, my January mods (Christmas presents) should drop weight below 11Kg.

In good useable condition £100 is about right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.