4 pot caliper

bramstoker
bramstoker Posts: 250
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to go with a 4 pot caliper on the back of my race bike (fat git with no stoppping power on a 160mm disc)
anyone recommend a good one? Got some SLX on at the moment and i was thinking of just getting a caliper to go on instead, anyone think there would be issues on mixing and matching leavers?

Cheers
A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    More pots do not equal more power. They can help with modulation, in some cases, and possibly heat build up, but can create more problems than they cure.
  • What do you recommend for more stopping power then? limited to 160 mm disc (nothing bigger will fit into the frame)
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the current brake working as it should? Unless you really are mahoosive then the SLX should be capable of locking the back wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Deore M-596 with 160mm rotors stop me fine... I'm 16st.

Sounds like a brake issue to me, SLX are great brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use the front properly and you don't need much power at the back. You can lock up with cantis.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Use the front properly and you don't need much power at the back. You can lock up with cantis.
    this....are you actually using the front brake ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Deore M-596 with 160mm rotors stop me fine... I'm 16st.

Sounds like a brake issue to me, SLX are great brakes.

That.

My Inbred runs Deore stoppers with standard 160mm rotors at both ends and is very capable of slowing me down properly. However, as has been pointed out, you probably need to use your front brake a LOT more, that's where the real stopping power is.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris