Time Roc ATAC Pedal bearings disintegrated

pchads
pchads Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Was hoping that someone may have some advice or experience with the following problem:

I had bought a pair of Time Roc ATAC Pedals about 6 months ago predominently for the larger amount of float they offer (a solution for the knee pain i was suffering with my old shimano pedals), anyway i had the pedals approx 3 weeks before the ball bearings and casing completely disintegrated in my right pedal and and spindal then fell away from the pedal body.The pedals where replaced under warrenty no problem, the new ones fitted and all was well until 6 months later and the same thing has happened again on the right pedal!

I understand that time has a reputation for the more robust manufacture of their pedals and can not find a single sole on the internet with similar wear problems after 6 months; in both instances i have dialled in the float on the cleat so that my foot is in a more natural postion when clipped in, the float itself is set to the largest gate ( ie the cleats are in the 17% positions) and the release is set to the 'most slack', i cycle approximatly 20 to 30 miles a week so nothing excessive and am at a total loss as to why the bearings have given in so early on the right pedal.

I have contacted the supplier but they have sited the float and my pedal stroke as being the problem but given i have set the float up i am not convinced that i am placing excessive strain on the bearings through my stroke.

Any help would be extreemly appriciated as i really like the pedals but can not keep returning them for replacements.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bearings are usually classed as a consumable part. You need to prove there is a problem with the pedals if you wish to pursue it, if they are denying a problem (their reasoning is rubbish mind). I would expect more life from less than 1000 miles of use though, considering the price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Their reasoning sounds total rubbish to me! Unless you are snagging the float limits as you pedal not sure how you change load on the bearings with foot angle.

My M520's haven't been touched in 2500 miles.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ive the same pedals on mine, 2 years on and no issues at al with them, if its just the bearings, id be tempted to get another couple and rebuild them your self, sealed cartridge bearings in them,
    i'm 16st and generally heavy on drivetrain parts, not had any troube with my pedals, (touches large piece of wood next to me!!!) possibly, a bad batch of bearings used ???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • thanks guys;
    supersonic wrote:
    Bearings are usually classed as a consumable part. You need to prove there is a problem with the pedals if you wish to pursue it, if they are denying a problem (their reasoning is rubbish mind). I would expect more life from less than 1000 miles of use though, considering the price.

i dont really know if i have anything to persue in terms of the supplier being prepared to replace them as the supplier is replacing the pedals no argument, its just potentially the way its going they will be perpertually replacing the pedals for new every 6 months and while new pedals every 6 months sounds great the inconvinience of sending them back and being without them for a week or two is fustrating....i would rather look to resolve whats gone wrong with them....preservation / cure analogy etc
    Their reasoning sounds total rubbish to me! Unless you are snagging the float limits as you pedal not sure how you change load on the bearings with foot angle.

Is that something you just feel? surely if snagging the float limits it would just feel like i am unclipping each revolution, plus i have set the angle of the cleates on the bottom of my shoe so i should benefit from the most float in my natural foot position....i have read though that time say you dont need to mess with the angle of the cleats as their system is unique and the amount of float is the same regardless!!
    ive the same pedals on mine, 2 years on and no issues at al with them, if its just the bearings, id be tempted to get another couple and rebuild them your self, sealed cartridge bearings in them,
    i'm 16st and generally heavy on drivetrain parts, not had any troube with my pedals, (touches large piece of wood next to me!!!) possibly, a bad batch of bearings used ???

yeah thats good to know...i was worried about my weight being a factor but at 15 stone i should be ok i guess. I have considered replacing the bearings myself and whether or not it is down to a bad batch but as ultimatly been the right pedal in both instances i still came back to wodering if there was something in my stroke?
  • Tooooo much Power baby! :-D
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481