getting kids into computers

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Is a Raspberry Pi a good idea for getting kids interested in computers and programming ? I can imagine my son being interested in it but my knowledge of programming stopped at writing basic BASIC programmes on a Vic20 about 30 years ago. If not a raspberry pi then anyone got any alternatives - he's 11.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Get One, Now!!!
    And then get it online and buy this : http://www.cprogramming.com/c++book/
    Best C++ book I have found. Teaches strong programming fundamentals and good annotation. I used it to get into C++ and I am now developing a port simulator for my industry in my spare time.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • They look amazing. I believe they can run some of the C languages, but i'm not sure. They can deffo run python (the language not the snake) - its an annoying language but easy to pick up and just like the BASIC you would have used on the vic 20, with the added joy of no line numbers.

There are online python compilers/interpreters

have a look here cos I guess you'll be the one he comes runnibg to for advice, haha.

You could also try the python environment - its free http://www.python.org/ and runs on mac or pc.

with loads of tutorials and stuff.

As a great introduction to the logic of programming - loops, variables etc - have a look at this -

http://scratch.mit.edu/

You can create some really good games with it.....see if you can find mine on there. :lol:

Developed by MIT and actually used in one of their uni courses - so your son could practice the logic with scratch and try it out on the raspberry. Its used in secondary over here too.

I started on teh vic 20 all those years ago, and am now happily swimming with the sharks in objective C -so go for it- for the money and the unlocking of a childs imagination the raspberry looks great.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Cleat I think Scratch is included in the Raspberry Pi Distro.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • and another thought - not really computers as such - the wonder of arduino

http://www.arduino.cc/

you can buy boards really cheap - download the software and program all sorts of wonderous things.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I thought we were looking at some sort of Tron-style scenario...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'd second the Arduino suggestion, good for learning electronics as well as programming. Get a copy of this or maybe this, but not this.

If it's just the programming you're interested in, and you want to spend less than a tenner, get Processing and a copy of this.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Kids cannot fit into computers, they just ain't flexible enough. :lol:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    symo wrote:
    Cleat I think Scratch is included in the Raspberry Pi Distro.

Tis true; Scratch is included. My daughter has also started using Scratch at secondary school, so it could be a good one for the OP's son to start with.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Ta.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I am currently learning Python using http://www.codecademy.com.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I don't understand anything you guys are saying :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • TBH I think you would get more traction by buying them a developer account or such with Apple or for Android.

The Pi is nice but tell a software oriented kid he can design his own Apps and you'll find out if he/she is any good or interested. better that than having them become a hacker and getting a criminal record ;)
  • better that than having them become a hacker and getting a criminal record ;)
    but if they can hack, they can clear the record :twisted:
  • TBH I think you would get more traction by buying them a developer account or such with Apple or for Android.

The Pi is nice but tell a software oriented kid he can design his own Apps and you'll find out if he/she is any good or interested. better that than having them become a hacker and getting a criminal record ;)

Unless you go for a catch all cross platform like "Corona" teaching a kid Objective C or java would be counter productive and expensive. Despite its geeky image - programming is fun - its nothing more than problem solving - if you can learn a fun thing in a cheap way, why not do it. Plenty of time for the mite to develop the new Angry Birds. :lol:
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa