rubber again

andybrad
andybrad Posts: 92
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Yes ive read through most of the forums and seen what people like on their wheels but i dont actually know what the places are like that you lot ride compared to where i ride.

So i found this on youtube and thought it ws a good example of the trails i end up on. We end up going up these as well a down though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzzMcpWElW8

Im currently running mountain kings which are ok in the dry but not so hot over antyhing else.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not going to watch random Youtube vids - where do you ride, and what makes it special?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I ride all over west yorkshire.

its wet, muddy, rocky and rooty :) also some road work to get to the best bits.

Ok no need to watch it but i thought it might help explain the conditions as one persons muddy is 6" deep and the others 0.5" deep.
  • The Maxxis brigade will be along shortly to recommend all sorts of slow, draggy, massive rubber but what you really need if you're just riding XC type stuff in that is Bontrager Mud X, Panaracer Trailraker or Specialized Storm Control.

I can personally vouch for the first two. Incredible grip in the mud. The MudX is fasty rolling than the TR for harder packed stuff or roads and is almost a three-season tyre. I have included the Storm Control because a number of people claim it's good and it's a similar design concept to the others.*

*most of the year-round mud riders down here run MudX or TRs.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Hi,

are those significantly better than the mountain kings then?
  • im one of the maxxi boys, i ride on the moors in yorkshire and lancs, lee quarry etc and use the highroller on the back and minion on front and cant rate them enough, it is a super tacky on the front and really like them
  • highrollers all the way
  • cooldad
    Round rubbery ones.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Down here on the plain in Wiltshire, I had to give up on the trailrakers as you need to run them with low pressures to make them work well in the gloop (of which they are fantastic) but then drag like hell when you're riding to the trails themselves. My mate had the Swamp things & they were pretty similar.

We have stumbled on a set-up that works really really well though & are now running a Maxis Medusa 2.1 up front & a Maxis Advantage 2.1 at the rear. They both roll really well & the Medusa is rock steady in all conditions & terrain. The Advantage grips fairly well & allows the rear to slide & play if you like that style of riding. If you want better traction & braking, then run a Medusa at each end.

Oh, & we went for the 70a compound as it's more durable on the fire roads & drags less. Nextdaytyres.com were the cheapest.
  • xr4's are looking good for the price.

can anyone tell me if they are any better / worse?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    XR4s are pretty freakin awesome (for £20)... Alot better than your MKs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read the latest MBUK tyre review, Maxxis Beaver (not big heavy or draggy) scores very well, 2 of the MBUK bikes (as detailed each month) are running them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    XR4s are pretty freakin awesome (for £20)... Alot better than your MKs.
    Except I think they're sold out. I got the last pair for thel33ter's bike. Well the ones from All Terrain Cycles anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i use a hans dampf front and a nobby nic rear. they work fine all year round, don't go putting a nobby nic on the front though they're shite there.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    If your terrain is anything like it is on that video, you'd be foolish (IMO) to go for a dedicated mud tyre, as they are designed to work in gloop really.

How about something like the Hans Dampf as suggested? Seem to be flavour of the month atm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gwaredd wrote:
    If your terrain is anything like it is on that video, you'd be foolish (IMO) to go for a dedicated mud tyre, as they are designed to work in gloop really.

How about something like the Hans Dampf as suggested? Seem to be flavour of the month atm.

Alrite buddy, how's tricks...

I was looking at those Hans Dampf ain't seen any 2.1's or 2.25's
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    after watching the video I think mud tyres would be rubbish in those conditions. It looked like it was mostly wet rock and wet roots with not too much deep soft mud.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    First, pick 2 manufacturers entirely at random. Hate these for no reason.
    Next, buy 10 tyres based on the recommendations of some idiots online. The first time you crash, blame the tyre and declare it to be useless. If this happens twice to a brand, then obviously they are no good.

If you have more than 2 manufacturers left, buy a completely inappropriate tyre then apply that tyre's "failings" to the entire brand. IE, like that guy on here that tried to do fort william world cup on LUST highrollers then declared that all Maxxi are delicate and slippy.

Congratulations- you have now chosen your brands. This restricts choice to a sensible level, just choose the most suitable seeming tyre from that list, unless it's expensive in which case buy a cheap one from On One.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    :lol: ^ it's so true!

There are SO many tyres available and different widths, compounds etc ... it makes the choice quite hard. I was quite lucky and settled on a tyre after about 3 try. (Maxis Ignitor if you're interested) Not saying its the best, just it ticks all the boxes and works very well for me.
  • cooldad
    jairaj wrote:
    :lol: ^ it's so true!

There are SO many tyres available and different widths, compounds etc ... it makes the choice quite hard. I was quite lucky and settled on a tyre after about 3 try. (Maxis Ignitor if you're interested) Not saying its the best, just it ticks all the boxes and works very well for me.
    All I've used for years - makes life simple.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Gwaredd wrote:

Alrite buddy, how's tricks...

I was looking at those Hans Dampf ain't seen any 2.1's or 2.25's

For the simple reason they don't make any in those sizes.