Will it work....Genesis HT parts onto a Giant F/S Frame

Shylock
Shylock Posts: 98
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Okay so I have a 2011 Genesis Core 20 bought 1 year ago and I want to now move to a F/S and ideally a Giant Trance. Although right now I do not have the budget to buy a whole bike, so I thought if I can get a frame can I swap all the bits on my Genesis over to the Giant. Looking at this years X4 spec it does not seem to be worth buying a new one to me. Is this possible and is there a big difference in the frames through the years..........

Specs below

Giant X4 2012
LUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5" Maestro Suspension
Rear Shock: Giant Air-R
Forks: RockShox XC32 TK Coil w/ Tapered Steerer, 120mm Travel
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Shimano Alivio, 27 speed
Chainset: Shimano M542, 22/32/44
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Press Fit
Chain: Shimano HG-73
Freewheel:SRAM PG950 11x34
Stem:Giant Connect
Handlebars:Giant Connect, Low Rise 31.8
Front Brake:Avid Elixir 1, 180mm
Rear Brake:Avid Elixir 1, 160mm
Brake Levers:Avid Elixir 1
Rims:Giant S-XC2
Front Hub: Giant Tracker Sport w/ 15mm Axle
Rear Hub: Giant Tracker Sport, 32h
Spokes: Black Stainless Steel
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25" Performance
Saddle: Giant Performance MTB
Seatpost: Giant Connect
Pedals :Alloy Platform

Genesis Core 20 2011

Frame:6061 Double Butted AluminiumFork:Rockshox Tora K 120mm travel
Front Derailleur:Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur:Shimano Deore Shadow
Number of Gears:27
Shifters:Shimano Alivio
Chainset:Shimano Alivio Octalink
Chainrings:44/32/22
Bottom Bracket:Shimano Octalink
Cassette:CS-HG30-9 11-32 tooth
Chain:ShimanoPedals:
Shimano PD-M505 clipless
Front Brake:Shimano BR-M445 with 160mm rotors
Rear Brake:Shimano BR-M445 with 160mm rotors
Brake Levers:Shimano BL-M445
Handlebars:Genesis 6061 / 30mm rise
Stem:Genesis OS 6061 / 31.8mm clamp
Headset:FSA Aheadset
Grips:Kraton Rubber file pattern
Rims:Alex DP-17 32HFront Hub:Shimano RM-65 Centre
LockRear Hub:Shimano RM-65 Centre LockSpokes:Stainless steel
Saddle:Genesis MTN2 with Cr-Mo rails
Seatpost:Genesis 6061 / 400mm / 27.2mm

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some bits might, some bits might not - you need to go through the components one by one.
    eg - front mech - clamp size, top or bottom pull, top or bottom swing. etc etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I see, where will this be described?
  • cooldad
    All over the place. Time to put your detective hat on.
    But mainly on the manufacturers webbies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • as cd said, front mech will be you main issue, top or bottom pull, clamp size, compact, top swing etc. and your seat post may not fit quite, but everything else should fit fine, you'll most likely need new cables though, FS frames generally have a longer cable run than HT's.
    is what ive essentially done through the past 3 bikes, transferred all the parts over and upgraded as ive had them,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The main things you'll need to consider are
    1/ Seatpost
    2/ Clamp
    3/ Front mech
    4/ Gear outer cable as FS need a lot more (or a full length run).
    Brake hoses may not be long enough on a full sus and you will very likley need new inner gear cables as well.

Check link in my sig to the reframe of the lads spesh into a FS Scott frame, fortunately the Scott came with seatpost and clamp as they are truly an oddball size.

We've found we need a 160mm rear disc as the 180 he was using fouls the chainstay pivot point as an example of things that can creep up on you, that in turn means a new mounting adaptor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Okay so a few small points. The main thing I was worried about was the front shock not fitting as this is arguably the second or most expensive part of the bike.
  • The Rookie
    The FORKS are both 120mm, the Core is a straight 1 1/8th frams, so even if the Trance is tapered you could fix that with a headset.

Make a list of all the parts required, list what you have now and what the trance uses then do some homework to see if they are compatable.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The FORKS
    I saw what you did there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You'll need to check steerer length too.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Sell the Genesis, buy a second hand trance x3 or X2.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    Where is the personal satisfaction in that - building the bike you ride is part of the fun!
  • 97th choice
    There are many routes to mountain biking happiness.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The route to enlightenment has indeed many paths, however the true path is one involving personal endeavour and not a credit card!
  • cooldad
    The route to enlightenment has indeed many paths, however the true path is one involving personal endeavour and not a credit card!
    Only for poor people.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice

You know it's all about riding a bike over rough stuff fast and having fun, don't you? Unless you get an adrenalin surge when you replace a BB?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd flog your Genesis and keep a look out for 2nd hand deals. You won't save a huge amount if anything trying to carry bits over as frames on their own are generally rather expensive. Plus the Trance will not run especially well on a 120mm fork (it will run, they just run better at 130-140mm in my view).

Newer Trance's do seem to hold their value pretty well, so it might take a little bit of time to find a good deal.

Swapping parts over might be fun to a point, but it becomes an expensive pain in the backside if the stuff doesn't fit. The level of frustration will be quite high, so may not be the best time to do it, especially if you've not done it before.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    Only for poor people.
    You speak with experience grown of your many (many) years.....

It is however possible to enjoy working on a bike and whilst it's clearly not an adrenalin rush it does carry a sastisfaction of it's own, especially when creating something better than you could afford to buy.
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    Plus the Trance will not run especially well on a 120mm fork (it will run, they just run better at 130-140mm in my view).

Eh?

The bike was designed for a 125mm fork! (well actually, the fork was sweated to get an extra 5mm out of a 120mm apparently) so should be absolutely fine on a 120mm fork.

Having said that, I agree with those saying look for a bargain - Pauls cycles for example.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.