Go shopping for me!

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Budget £1500. I aint the quickest coming down but my uphill is improving and I'm enjoying the challenge of getting quicker. I want a full sus bike. I'm undecided on travel, 120-150. Not sure I need 150. I want it to be fairly light. I like my geometry slack, 68 degree head tube angle min. I was thinking a Trance until I seen the geometry, 140 with that geometry makes no sense to me?!

Any suggestions? I quite like the Whyte t120, but have never tried one, but it's under specced for the price.

Cheers

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try a Trek Fuel EX, I think this years has increased travel to 130mm. last years had 120mm but slack geo. Frame seemed very strong a stiff to me. True mountain bike, can go up and down a hill equally and used for all sorts riding not just little niches. Unless you want to regularly do big drops etc.. I think its a great bike.

Also might be worth trying a Trance, if its not too much trouble sorting out a demo It rides better than the geo would have you believe. I personally preferred the Fuel EX but it was a good bike.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Just had a look online at prices looks like the 2012 ones are the ones within your budget.
  • concorde
    Cheers mate, have heard good things about the Trek, will add it to my considered list :-) Will try to demo the both before buying.

Cheers
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Have a look at the Canyon bikes, am in the same boat as you at the moment, looking for a £1300-1400 full sus and currently, spec wise I've not found many bikes that seem to be beat the Canyons. Just gotta find someone who has one near me to see what the sizes are like and I think I'm sold with them
  • lapierre zesty? heared very good things about them, thinking a nice second hand one for that money
  • concorde
    Not convinced on the Canyons, it was top of my list but it's 150 travel, I've seen people climb poorly on them who have previously climbed well. The 120 travel ones are too steep geometry wise. And I haven't seen any reviews on the 2013 ones to see how they ride. I think I could settle for less spec for a bike that rides better. Zesty is a good shout, that'll be on the list Norco sight I really like, the 2012, sight 3, only thing is the coil forks, need to see how heavy it is.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lapierre zesty? heared very good things about them, thinking a nice second hand one for that money
    Excellent how people will recommend things they've never used but have 'heared' good things about.
    I heard Sram was good as well. Lot's of garbage out there.

ps Zestys are very nice. Especially the top end models.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    cooldad wrote:
    lapierre zesty? heared very good things about them, thinking a nice second hand one for that money
    Excellent how people will recommend things they've never used but have 'heared' good things about.
    I heard Sram was good as well. Lot's of garbage out there.

ps Zestys are very nice. Especially the top end models.

I do like the look of a zesty and read good things about the way they ride, wold try before I buy obviously, know a few people who own them. Can't afford the top end though so would be buying a fairly poor specced one, unless of course I went second hand.