First bike for the wife, up to £300, any ideas?

ElliotR
ElliotR Posts: 28
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

Having been biking myself for years my wife would now like to get involved but as this will be her first go at off road riding I didn't want to spend loads incase she doesnt take to it.

I've set the budget at £300 max and from what I've seen so far the Carrera Vengence @ halfords, (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499) for £279 seems to be the best I'll get for that budget.

If anyone has any opinions on the bike or alternatives I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Elliot

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yes, buy something second hand :D

This has 2 advantages, firstly you'll be able to get a 'better' bike (poss more suspension, lighter, better components etc) and secondly if she doesn't like it you'll be able to get your money back on it. You won't get anywhere near your money back on a new bike.

If I had a pound for every couple I have seen at trail centres where the chap zips past on a nice plush bike and his poor wife / girlfriend pootles along behind on some heavy old thing with a face like thunder or (more often) in tears :( Makes me sad as biking needs more girlies - why make it difficult? I probably wouldn't have stayed with it if I hadn't been on a nice light, comfy bike (incidentally a full susser bought on Ebay for £700, ridden for 2 years and sold for the same price).

So. If you would like your other half to enjoy biking with you, I would honestly suggest buying second hand :D

Oh, and take her somewhere nice for her first ride. My then partner took me to Cwmcarn for my first mtb ride. It was not successful :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 She won't enjoy it on a clunker so get something used but much better used, second hadn Voodoo or Fury or Rockrider 8.1 for example (not a hardrock or 'hopper as they won't be much better than the vengeance! - I'll get my coat).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ElliotR wrote:
    If anyone has any opinions on the bike or alternatives I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Elliot

Either follow the advice of Miss Notax or up your budget, the specialized myka has a decent frame that is upgradable if she likes the sport, and it will sell easily if she doesn't. The lower models are poverty spec. and even the higher end will need a fork upgrade before too long, but the frame is well thought of.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I (and my OH) will echo what's been said above - go used, up the budget, buy her something decent that she'll enjoy riding.
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I am keeping an eye out for a bike for a friend and stumbled across this - ok, so this is a bit racey, but it's certainly light, a capable little bike and would (probably!) re-sell ok if needs be :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Comp ... 3ccd30a164

You get my point anyway!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • She won't enjoy it on a clunker

Ohhhh i dunno......depends if shes ever clunked before......
  • Thanks for all the advice, I’ll start scouring ebay…
  • ok, after quite a bit of sifting about for a good 2nd used bike, I've found two possibles that would be great to get some feedback on.

The first and main choice at the moment is a Specialized Rock Hopper with Tora Forks, Avid Juicy 3 Breaks, LX Mechs and Shimano deore shifters and chainset. at £300, from seeing the pics it's got slight scratching on the forks but nothing major.
    The second Im looking at is a Specialized Myka Elite 2011 in mint condition but its going for £450, but id make a lower offer as they arent far off this at Evans in the sale at the moment.

Baring in mind this will be a first bike for my wife, do you think the extra cost for the Myka would be worth while?

Any advice and opinions would be great....

Cheers
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Can I offer some friendly advice that you keep to one thread rather than opening up new topics for related questions that you are asking in here?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Can I offer some friendly advice that you keep to one thread rather than opening up new topics for related questions that you are asking in here?

Fair point, I created a new post though as this one seemed to turn into banter between posters, which has subsequently now been removed getting it back on track...cheers
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ElliotR wrote:
    Can I offer some friendly advice that you keep to one thread rather than opening up new topics for related questions that you are asking in here?

Fair point, I created a new post though as this one seemed to turn into banter between posters, which has subsequently now been removed getting it back on track...cheers
      28752669.jpg:wink:
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011