53/39 from 50/34. Will it make a noticeable difference?

13»

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    neeb wrote:
    Really interesting discussion. Excuse my ignorance, but, where Campag is concerned, would a 52/36 combination only fit onto a compact crankset? No option to buy the chainrings and fit them to a standard 53/39?

52/36 sounds like a good compromise to me.
    Yes, you need a compact (110 BCD, or "bolt circle diameter") crankset to fit a 36T ring. Chainrings are sold for specific BCDs, and you can't make a 36T ring for a standard (135 BCD) crankset because the bolt holes would need to be somewhere around where the teeth are... The standard Campagnolo cranksets are 135 BCD and generally the smallest inner ring you can fit is 39T.

With larger chainrings (e.g. 39T inner, 53T outer) you can get versions for both compact and standard cranskets, but you still need to make sure you get one with the correct BCD. You can't fit a 39T inner ring for compact BCD to a standard BCD crank, or visa-versa.

Thanks for clarifying! Much appreciated.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Have just brought a bike which has come with 53/39 and 12/25 Campag Veloce.

I'm coming from using a compact Veloce with 12/25 and am a bit concerned about the gearing. I got up most things fairly easily on the compact without using my lowest two gears except when the gradient got north of 10%, such as on Edge Hill, where the 25 came in more than useful.

What would people recommend for the Standard? I've been looking at 12/27 or 13/29?
    Got a similar Campag set up myself and went for 12-27 when the 12-25 wore out. Haven't noticed a by difference in the individual cogs but the 27.big ring does make harder climbs a bit easier. - which is what its all about. Next bike Will be 52-36 and 11-25 I reckon
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Im still using a 52/39 chain ring & a 12-23 rea3 as it what was considered normal gears when my bike was bought new, odd now that its seen as extreme gearing or something :shock:

Anyway

Forty-three- nineteen:is the gear of champions. :wink:
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Cool, thanks.

Am I right in thinking that Campag don't do a 12-27 cassette? Are the Miche ones any good?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Cool, thanks.

Am I right in thinking that Campag don't do a 12-27 cassette? Are the Miche ones any good?
    You said you were running veloce? Looks like you can't get a 12-27 in veloce, but you can get a 10 speed centaur 12-27.