Show of hands in a vs'

stevekoz
stevekoz Posts: 103
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

Just finishing swapping out some brakes on my bike. Got rid of my Hayes Stroker Carbons. Never seemed to get one with them.

Left with two sets now - Shimano Deore 596 (highly rated on here) or Avid Juicy Ultimates

Show of hands please? Which would you go for? Riding = mainly xc and purpose built trail riding in the midlands. Full suspension bike. Heavy rider.

Comments

• I would go Deore to be honest. I'm not much of an Avid or Hayes fan, and the Deores I had on my old bike were pretty good.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    No contest. Deore every time.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    deore for me too
  • Deore. I got em so am biased but they are awesome.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I have deores and elixir r's. The deores are in another league!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have Stroker Carbons - find them better than Deores.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Deore's over the Juicy's every time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Another vote for Deore's.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • No contest - Deore's.
    Don't worry about rain - skin is waterproof
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I would say Deores, but... I had 2 sets of Juicy Ultimates and actually they were absolutely fine. It was the Elixirs and the XXs that were really crap.

Considering the Ultimate is a far 'better' brake I'd probably go with them.
  • stevekoz
    Wow, massive consensus towards the Deore's. Not unsurprising as it would seem Shimano have properly out done themselves in terms of quality and cost on those.

I'm intrigued a little still by the Avids. I've had Hayes, Shimano but not Avids so there is a temptation to go against the grain and prove to myself that perhaps i wasted my money and should have gone for the Deores - im mad like that.

But, the comment "far 'Better' brake" is interesting, could you clarify what you mean good sir, just intrigued why it would be so much "better"? - design/tech etc?

Again thanks all for your comments. Appreciate it. I'll have made my decision by the end of the day and will let you all know as i'm sure you are all majorly interested to know ;-)

Cheers
    Steve
  • out of the three sets I have;

SLX

Deore

Elixir R

in that order.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • stevekoz
    Well thanks to all for your comments, i couldn't ignore the overwhelming concensus and purchased the deores at what i might have to say is an extortionately good price off of fleabay. Can't wait to get them and try them out, see what all the fuss is about.

Cheers all.