La Gomera

the_jackalcp
the_jackalcp Posts: 276
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I am heading to La Gomera for a family holiday next year and was hoping to take my bike. Having had a brief look at google maps it seems that the island is pretty much a giant mountain.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of cycling there? How hard is it? How easy was it to get your bike there? Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike
https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
IG - bikeauthority.cc

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've not cycled there but I have been there. It is very beautiful and rugged - and extremely hilly. Steep hills, too. Very. If you are prepared for that, and the fact that the roads are very tight and winding and narrow, often without guardrails, it would be quite a spectacular place to ride.
  • I have cycled there. Pretty much all roads go up the mountain to a central "plateau/ridge" and down so wherever you go there will be climbs and descents. The roads were pretty quiet and in some places with vertiginous drops but generally fine. We stayed in Hotel Jardin Tecnia and enjoyed our holiday which was not a dedicated cycling holiday.
  • Hi Mike,

I have been several times to La Gomera for cycling. To be honest, it's not as good as the other Canaries (Tenerife is my favourite), but it is still good for cycling. The scenery is superb, mostly volcanic rocks, but there are a few forested areas as well. You get great views from nearly every road on the island.

The roads are nearly all up or down, and, as has been said, some of them are very steep. If you're not used to doing steep climbs then I imagine you'll find it very hard - at least for the first couple of days until you find the right technique for you. Depending on where you are based, you might also find that you end up having to cycle the same few stretches of road several times, which obviously is never ideal.

Regarding taking your bike there; last time I got the ferry from Tenerife, and they let you take the bike on for no extra charge. One other thing to note, there are quite a few unlit tunnels, and although there is not a lot of traffic on the roads, its still a good idea to bring some lights with you.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To be honest it has left me in two minds. I enjoy climbing so that is not really an issue however the thought of super steep climbs for long periods doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I would like it to be a challenge but not a week of suffering up endless steep roads. I have street viewed parts of the island and it looks amazing however it is difficult to grasp just how steep the roads are. I had a look at MapMyRide for suggested gradients and the 20% figure came up all to often. May be I just need to man up, get an 11-28 and go ride.

Ian - thanks for the tip about the tunnels. I had noticed them on google maps and wondered if cycling through them was allowed. I will definitely take some lights if I decide to take the bike. I believe we will be based near Playa Santiago so no doubt we will have to ride the same roads however this won't be too much of an issue.

Thanks again guys. any other thoughts etc are still appreciated

Mike
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc