NEWBIE Carbon Fibre Frame Qs

BRM_
BRM_ Posts: 52
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all, im new to the site. I currently have a 2011 Trek 8500, im looking into buying a carbon frame and making a custom bike, could someone reccomend a frame for me, has anyone bought any off of eBay which are £300-£400?

Any other advice would be great, is it really worth me doing this?

Ben.

Comments

• I am still a newbie myself but i wouldn't touch a carbon frame from ebay unless it was a reputable brand. On one 456 carbons are very popular and can be had brand new for 400 quid depending on size and choice of colour.

Having said that a quick google of the name brought this thread up.

viewtopic.php?p=16730526
  • BRM_
    Thanks for your response, from what i have read in the link they dont seem to bad. I want to make a hybrid so hopefully these will be ok?

Ben
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty of people have bought from China - they seem ok.
    Personally I wouldn't - too much hassle if something does go wrong.
    Especially when you can get an On One Whippet for less. Especially if you like yellow.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCWHND/o ... aled_frame
    But why a hybrid?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BRM_
    Thanks for your input. I have a Mountain bike so i fancy a road/commuter to work etc. Am i doing this wrong? I like a nice bit of carbon and something light/quick will do me nicely.
  • cooldad
    Then get a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^ this

Road bike is a much better shout.

I had one of the carbon MTB frames from eBay though, was good, would definitely have another, but would probably just get a Whippet if it was close on price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either get a full on road bike or a road orientated Hybrid (both can be had with CF frames)....my commuter (avatar) is a home built hybrid using mostly MTB components with road slicks, I can avarage nearly 19mph over circa 20mile rides...you (or at least I!) won't do that on a full on MTB!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The price for the original On-One carbon has dropped now to £300.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456P/o ... _456_frame

Something I'm definitely considering very soon :D
  • I wouldnt get a 456 as a hybrid. Its light but totally overkill and a bit silly and fat looking for that purpose. When you say "hybrid" what do you mean? A hybrid in the sense of a road bike with flat bars thats ok on a tow path, or a do it all kinda bike?

Id be more inclined to look at a 29 frame. There was a big thread on mtbr about carbon frames and a lot of the guys were using this company over in China with success. http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/

What about trying to get a 2nd hand Dirty Disco frame or similar carbon CX frame?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Carbon for a hybrid/commuter doesn't really make much sense tbh, it'll get dinged up in bike racks etc and it'll be a nice shiny thing for the magpies.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BRM_
    Either get a full on road bike or a road orientated Hybrid (both can be had with CF frames)....my commuter (avatar) is a home built hybrid using mostly MTB components with road slicks, I can avarage nearly 19mph over circa 20mile rides...you (or at least I!) won't do that on a full on MTB!
    This makes sense to me, this is exactly what I'm after. I'm new to all this so when I say hybrid I don't want a full on £5K road bike! I just wanted a nice light bike to go to & from work and out and about on the weekends.

Also, me building a bike was for experience and keeps me occupied :)
  • BRM_
    Northwind wrote:
    Carbon for a hybrid/commuter doesn't really make much sense tbh, it'll get dinged up in bike racks etc and it'll be a nice shiny thing for the magpies.
    Can you tell me why it doesn't make sense? Surely it being nice & light would be ideal? And I rarely leave my bike anywhere :P
  • BRM_
    Thanks for the replies peeps. What's the benefits of 29" wheels?
  • cooldad
    They'll fit 29er tyres quite well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BRM_
    cooldad wrote:
    They'll fit 29er tyres quite well.
    That's the benefits? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BRM_ wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Can you tell me why it doesn't make sense? Surely it being nice & light would be ideal? And I rarely leave my bike anywhere :P

A commuter that you rarely leave anywhere? Doesn't compute...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BRM_
    Northwind wrote:
    BRM_ wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

A commuter that you rarely leave anywhere? Doesn't compute...
    Hasn't really answered my question. Yes I commute to work, I don't mind leaving there but I never leave it anywhere outside etc
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    edited December 2012
    Post removed, my advice was wrong and after a little research seems I had no idea what I was talking about :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29er's give no more clearence BB heights are generally the same as 26ers (like for like bike style)

Larger wheels roll easier than 26er making life a little (emphasis on little) easier!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.