Poor brake performance

Gretts
Gretts Posts: 2
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I decided too jump on my bike after a few months off. It's a Spec Rockhopper expert with the stock brakes (Avid Juicy something or other). Tried to take it for a quick spin to make sure everything is ok but my brakes have lost all power. They work, but nothing like they used to, it's like having my road bike brakes on my mtb bike, not good.

I've looked at the pads but they seem ok, what else could it be? It was fine last time I used it. It's both front and rear brakes.

As you can probably tell, I know very little about this sort of thing.

Cheers

Comments

• Perhaps your rotas have fit some cheap on them, clean them with proper cleaner or just use them and they may come back.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perhaps your rotas have fit some cheap on them, clean them with proper cleaner or just use them and they may come back.
    Huh?????
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ha ha. Please replace the bold!

Perhaps your rotors have got some contaminant on them.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    How do they feel? If the lever is firm but the brakes don't stop you then it is contamination. If the lever feels soft then it is air in the system.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mister p wrote:
    How do they feel? If the lever is firm but the brakes don't stop you then it is contamination. If the lever feels soft then it MAY BE air in the system.
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.