RIP Partrick Moore

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
British astronomer Patrick Moore, who helped map the moon and inspired generations of star gazers with decades of television broadcasts, died on Sunday aged 89.

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    The loss of one of life's great characters. RIP
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I didnt realise until a minute ago after reading Wikipedia, but his fiance died in world war 2 she was driving an ambulance and it was hit by a bomb, he never married or had children, how sweet and loyal is that.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    No Moore Mr Night Sky!

Was Watching Sky at Night and a program on the Voyager Satelites on BBC 4 into the late hours last night the guy was a real character. will be sadly missed.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    A great loss to xylophone playing everywhere.
  • Yes, the bitter, righter than right wing, homophobic, misogynistic, anti immigration stargazer has shuffled off. He liked cats though.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    tim wand wrote:
    No Moore Mr Night Sky!

Was Watching Sky at Night and a program on the Voyager Satelites on BBC 4 into the late hours last night the guy was a real character. will be sadly missed.

I've just watched last week's episode of the Sky at Night - he seemed far perkier than he had in recent months. I wonder if he realised the end was coming and wanted to put in a good show?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    What I liked about him was the speed at which he talked using no commas full stops or pauses and thats why the sky at night was only 10 minutes long because that was the budget given to him by the BBC and he had to fit an hour programme into just 10 minutes so he went along lickety split and not a single hesitation for the 103 regular viewers that tuned in to him regualrly on a Sunday night late and until the next time goodbye.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Moore's delivery and inflection is bananas... This following short story is great... Who knows what's going on though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9Rk-JqNtU
    tick - tick - tick
  • haha thats like an undiscovered sam becket play written on one of the days he actually smiled. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Yes, the bitter, righter than right wing, homophobic, misogynistic, anti immigration stargazer has shuffled off. He liked cats though.

Who also lied about his age to get into the RAF and flew in bombers (Pathfinders) over Germany. Moved out after his heart condition was discovered he went into bomb defusal. Figure on those two alone he gets respect. He was an eccentric product of his time. Worth reading his obituary in eg the Guardian
    M.Rushton
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I met Patrick Moore once. The conversation went like this.

PM "Is this the train to Victoria?"

Me "No. You want the other platform. "

PM's footsteps walking away. I think he liked me. :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Yes, the bitter, righter than right wing, homophobic, misogynistic, anti immigration stargazer has shuffled off.

At least he wasn't a paedophile, although now that he's dead................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    How did I forget this tour de force of bonkers Mooreness? :roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)