The spy in your pocket

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
I’ve got an Android phone with a collection of apps on it, some very useful, others less so. I get invited to update these on a fairly regular basis to benefit from bug fixes and improved features but I’m getting fed up with the creeping “permissions” I am asked to approve. For example, why does a compass need to read my contacts, messages and emails, and take video and still photographs without the user’s knowledge? To be honest I’ve stopped updating most of the apps because of this. It wouldn’t be so bad if the paid-for versions were “spyware free” but they seem little better. Time to dig out the ancient Nokia? Are iPhones any better?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    We had a talk about this before, its called the 'Filter Bubble'. Mr Eastwood suggested that you use 'duckduckgo' for searching on the net as it does not use cookies and the like to trace your steps and anticiapte your preferences for marketing purposes etc.
    Didn't realise that apps and smart phones were susceptible but I guess that was obvious. Move to Cinderford 'cos its effectivley like stopping the world and getting off as you will not need any modern technology except for a decent shotgun to ward off the drunk inbreds, snozzled on home made cider, wandering around your back yard at all hours of the day.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • We had a talk about this before, its called the 'Filter Bubble'. Mr Eastwood suggested that you use 'duckduckgo' for searching on the net as it does not use cookies and the like to trace your steps and anticiapte your preferences for marketing purposes etc.
    Didn't realise that apps and smart phones were susceptible but I guess that was obvious. Move to Cinderford 'cos its effectivley like stopping the world and getting off as you will not need any modern technology except for a decent shotgun to ward off the drunk inbreds, snozzled on home made cider, wandering around your back yard at all hours of the day.

...spoken like a true man of Glos...