Carbon Stem

Torres
Torres Posts: 1,266
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all.

I'm after a few opinions please. I need a new stem for my 29er and I've been drawn to the carbon exotic offerings. I know that the carbon stem's a few grams heavier than its alloy counterpart and a few quid more too.

Now I'm more than happy to admit that form is taking priority over function in this instance and I'm being a complete tart (I like carbon, who doesn't?)

The bike gets used for xc/trail centers, touring and exploring so it won't be getting much hammer. So is there any reason not to get one?

Ta 8)
What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The reasons you say lol - heavier and more expensive than perfectly good alloy stems! Carbon stems don't seem to have 'come of age' like the rest of the carbon world, or maybe it just isn't the best stuff for stems.

I'd look at this:

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/kcnc-fly- ... sizes.html
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Cheers Sonic. I'm not too bothered by weight, my frame weighs nearly 2.5kg so adding another 20g to my cockpit won't make much difference; the exotic one's only three quid more than the alu version too.

I can see what you mean though; for out and out weight saving they seem to make no sense, do you think it's something to do with the construction process that means carbon'll never be competitive for components like this?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm not sure, it is quite odd - maybe it is all the clamping areas that need more reinforcement. i think the tech will mature.

I think a forged, then CNCd and anodized stem looks more bling anyway!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You can get insanely light and expensive carbon stems - eg AX Lightness, but if mimicking normal production processes you need more of it, so it just doesn't work.

Most 'carbon' stems are just alu ones with a carbon wrap, so you're not getting rid of any alu material, you're just adding some carbon.

Bit like rims really, unless you spend silly money carbon rims come out heavier than the lightest alu ones. They sell them on the stiffness benefits.

But yes, if it makes you happy go for it.