Cornering in the wet?

2»

Comments

• if you're losing the front, trail the rear brake
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    The reason why I keep my tyres at 50psi is that otherwise I have the edge of the tyre hitting the frame often. I know - I need to get a set of wider Mavic rims on it to reduce the tyre moving on the rim but I don't have the time.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Or smaller tyres...
  • MTB noob wrote:
    The reason why I keep my tyres at 50psi is that otherwise I have the edge of the tyre hitting the frame often. I know - I need to get a set of wider Mavic rims on it to reduce the tyre moving on the rim but I don't have the time.

bite the bullet and get new tyres, maybe 2.25 width? 50 psi is far, far too high on a mtb. You will notice a HUGE difference dropping to 35-40 ish. Honestly just try it, it will be like riding a different bike.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Agree with everyone else, drop those pressures, that will give you more confidence to ride the corners, yes you will still slide but not as much on some corners.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe 40psi max in a skinny XC mud tyre but <30psi in anything else.
    Get some tyres to fit your frame, if they are rubbing then even with a wider rim you won't have any mud clearance.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    ditch those tyres - i had them and they were lethal in the woods no grip whatsoever get some minions (or similar)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    As above start with tyre pressures.

If your losing the front your body weight could be to far back. If your getting nervous of bends you might be subconsiously sitting further back into the bike making the problem worse. Try getting a mate to film you on some bends then go home and watch the vids and compare it to some youtube stuff to see how your holding yourself on the bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No point having wide tyres at 50psi, less grip than the right width at 30psi and they will weigh more as well....lose lose!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And get the technique right. Stop focusing on the tools, and improve the craftsman.
  • MTB noob
    Opening a new and related topic, I have resolved my issue or cornering and losing grip but now I have another question.

What can I do to gain confidence in berms because I have a habit of bottling it when I get to any impressive speed due to lack of knowledge of what's up ahead. Its really irritating as I know I can go faster but I get worried if I don't have enough braking time for the next group of corners. It usually ends up with me going over the top of it or just braking which is inconvenient for others behind me.

can anyone relate to this and how do I overcome it?
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Going over the top? Turn in more.
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    Going over the top? Turn in more.

^this and you probably already know but look as far round the corner as possible. You ride with your eyes :wink:
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Look further ahead. A berm by its nature takes you back on yourself a bit so you should be able to look at the exit point and probably a bit beyond before you get into the berm.
  • MTB noob wrote:
    Opening a new and related topic, I have resolved my issue or cornering and losing grip but now I have another question.

What can I do to gain confidence in berms because I have a habit of bottling it when I get to any impressive speed due to lack of knowledge of what's up ahead. Its really irritating as I know I can go faster but I get worried if I don't have enough braking time for the next group of corners. It usually ends up with me going over the top of it or just braking which is inconvenient for others behind me.

can anyone relate to this and how do I overcome it?

What worked for you with the cornering?
  • MTB noob
    I had a quick ride in the snow around my local hills and as I can see other people's lines clearer its helped me to see what was up ahead. The tip for looking ahead has helped me a lot. I think I am a bit closer to overcoming this problem.

Thanks!