Bike lock stuck on bike :(

Tish99
Tish99 Posts: 22
edited December 2012 in MTB general
So I had to buy a new bike lock for insurance purposes I went with the masterlock street fortum I tie my bike to the fence and then 1 hour later try to unlock it and the mechanism fails and won't undo the key then snaps inside the lock. It's tied to an iron fence have just been out and tried to use a car jack to prise it open without luck! It mushy me womenly strength not sure lol does anyone know who I can call to get this thing off?

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Priceless!
    Go get and angle grinder, and new lock.
  • Mechanism fails? Sure it wasn't someone putting glue inside the lock hoping to come back and nick it later when you've gone, very suspicious.

OK, get an angle grinder as Mojo mentions.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Tish99
    Tish99 Posts: 22
    http://www.mark1hire.co.uk/product.php/ ... _inch_110v is this cordless? I have no idea how to use one could be interesting!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope mains.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Think this happened to someone else not long ago, thiefs will glue up the lock so you can't release your bike.
    Then, if you leave it over night, they'll come and remove all the components and leave you with a frame.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Buy a tent.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Cut the fence (initially).

When this happened before on here it was pointed out that that could be justified as protecting property, in defence of being done for criminal damage. Wouldn't think that would get you out of being liable for costs for repair though?

The other person who this happened to came back to find the bike stripped of everything, happened over a weekend I think
  • Any builders neraby? They will likely have an industrial strength cordless angle grinder which will cut through it. If not, rent one.
  • just hire/buy a angle grinder, builders will only have a petrol grinder with a diamond tipped disc in and if you use that it will shag the disc up,then they will kick your arse, there only used for masonary then
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Did you have any luck with this?

A petrol angle grinder isn't that much to rent, any good hire shop should do one and a diamond blade should cut through it eventually.

It wont damage the blade, although depending on the hire shop you will get charged for blade use per mm, so depending on how tough the steel is it might cost a bit more, ask though to be sure.

Have someone who knows what they are doing do it though, (that might be you) as they are lethal things and if you slip will happily cut through a bike frame before you realise whats happened.

WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFTEY GEAR - steel toecap boots, ear defenders.

Make sure the lock isn't going to move as you cut it either.

Where are you based, as I'm happy to help if you are local.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Oh sweet a thread from 2009.
  • Plyphon wrote:
    Oh sweet a thread from 2009.
    Look again.
  • Newfish wrote:

A petrol angle grinder isn't that much to rent, any good hire shop should do one and a diamond blade should cut through it eventually.

It wont damage the blade, although depending on the hire shop you will get charged for blade use per mm, so depending on how tough the steel is it might cost a bit more, ask though to be sure.

Have someone who knows what they are doing do it though, (that might be you) as they are lethal things and if you slip will happily cut through a bike frame before you realise whats happened.

would luv to watch this :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Newfish wrote:

would luv to watch this :lol:

Haha, I can imagine getting some funny looks. Also would be intrigued to see how quick it cuts through it.
    Cheers,
    Simon.