Another real bike shop to close.

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• That's a real shame, he's a nice bloke. When I first started cycling I used to go mountain biking with a group of riders of which he was one.

Used to see Edison frames on the local "cross" scene as well.

It's very tough for independent LBS' and a bit like Aldi bike equipment sales as they say "when they're gone, they're gone" and we will all be poorer for it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Around here (South east) more and more are opening all the time.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Sorry I'm not really buying that.

If you can't make money from an LBS in this current climate, then you should be looking at yourself and not blaming others.

My LBS predominately stocks Bianchi & Cube.
    So it's fairly safe to say all of the countless number of those brands, that have exploded onto the roads, have all come from him.
    Along with 'proper' micro scooters, BMX's and Pashleys.

I can't see him closing down any time soon and blaming Aldi (not that the fella in question here, is doing that).
  • Sorry I'm not really buying that.

If you can't make money from an LBS in this current climate, then you should be looking at yourself and not blaming others.

So it's fairly safe to say all of the countless number of those brands, that have exploded onto the roads, have all come from him.

I can't see him closing down any time soon and blaming Aldi (not that the fella in question here, is doing that).

You mis-understand I wasn't blaming aldi I was just using their tag line "when they're gone, they're gone". If anything it's the internet that makes it incredibly difficult for retailers of all goods. Little fish always struggle in a big pond.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • AAG
    AAG Posts: 123
    I could have bought my Trek from anywhere but i support the LBS, plus you get better service unlike the bigger bike shops that are full of kids who know nothing apart from BMX's.
    MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
    Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
    Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Sorry I'm not really buying that.

That's an fascinating point. It would be interesting to see some analysis of how much the market has grown in the last 18 months and how much of the growth has been claimed by the big chain retailers (Halfords, Evans) how much has gone to online (wiggle, crc) and how much has gone to LBS'. IMO it will be the big boys that will have snaffled most of the growth.

What's also interesting is if the market stays healthy could we see the really big retailers looking to move in? I know they sell BSOs but could we see Specialized at Sainsbury? Trek at Tesco?
  • Admittedly I'm very new to all this ... But ... Isn't this scene booming? Just had two new lbs open in Chesterfield in recent months to give J.E.James a run for their money. ?????????
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • simona75 wrote:
    Sorry I'm not really buying that.

That's an fascinating point. It would be interesting to see some analysis of how much the market has grown in the last 18 months and how much of the growth has been claimed by the big chain retailers (Halfords, Evans) how much has gone to online (wiggle, crc) and how much has gone to LBS'. IMO it will be the big boys that will have snaffled most of the growth.

What's also interesting is if the market stays healthy could we see the really big retailers looking to move in? I know they sell BSOs but could we see Specialized at Sainsbury? Trek at Tesco?
    I can't see any out and out newbie buying their first bike on-line.
    So from then on it's up to the LBS to keep the business.

Boardman must be rolling around in money unsure of what to do with it all!

I'm sure the big retailers would want a piece of the action but there's no way the big brands are going to hand the golden tickets over to companies who will want control.
  • In the current climate, surely the only local bike shops that are closing are the ones who have failed to adjust their business model to the current world?

I suspect most people buying a new bike wouldn't dream of going to a local bike shop. Intimidating, full of high end stuff that they don't understand. Just want a straightforward bike. So they go to Halfords, or buy online or wherever....but not the local bike shop

Where the real money to be made for the local bike shop is in repairs. The days of everyone being able to fettle their bike (because the had to) have long gone. Middle class, middle age guys with no idea how to change a BB are the market. Sure, stock some bits and bobs that you can't make money on because you have to price match the internet and also some top end stuff because there will always be a market to sell to the people who want a value-added, advice driven product.

I can see the local bike shops either adopting the "repair centre" model or going to the wall. There will be exceptions of course but it seems hard to see how they can survive keeping doing what they have been doing forever. My local shop is a great example of this. Plenty of expensive stuff that nobody buys. Try to get a repair and its a 2 week wait to even look at it. It'll close in time. Another local shop has the right idea, almost no expensive stuff but a full repair centre and they'll take it in on the day and give you and idea there and then.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I blame Wiggle.

Had to be said. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I always wonder why more LBS' dont do more second hand sales. It may upset their suppliers but there must be money to be made taking bikes (maybe on a part-ex) and then re-selling them with a warranty. With the volumes of £1000+ bikes now being sold could this become profitable?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Going to big up an LBS now. Silvester Brothers in Cove (near Farnborugh). Took in my GasPipe Raleigh Banana which I use on the Turbo, whose rear mech had committed hari kari. They had a quick look and said, new 6 speed rear mech for £12 plus labour; I said call me when done.

Called 1 hour later, it's fixed and you only owe us a £5. Why I asked; because they had managed to get the old mech working. So went in paid my £5 and bought some High 5 Zero. Are you listening Pedal Heaven>??????

Well impressed, bike shop of the old school, mechanic even asked if I was looking to sell it, as it would make a great winter bike.

Hopefully they will be around for a while.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.