Cavendish Roadrage

Corporate Camper
Corporate Camper Posts: 293
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
This is how to deal with it; have half a million followers on Twitter and post a picture of the chap and his car...
'12 CAAD 8 Tiagra

Comments

• link?
  • http://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status ... 76/photo/1

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish
    This man just tried to run me & @russellhampton off the road. Now HE'S threatening to call the police! We want him to.
  • Cheers, couldn't manage a link from iPad for some reason
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • I couldn't post the photo, it didn't work. Looks like a French bloke to me but they're GB plates.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    He isn't wearing a beret and he doesn't have onions around his neck and he isn't spitting in the street so how does he look Francais ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • His entire demeanour is gallic. Plain as day.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Ah but if he was French he would know how to drive with bikes around him and he would also recognise Cav.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    just a pic and tweet? where's the helmet cam footage posted to youtube? pfffffft amateur!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    just a pic and tweet? where's the helmet cam footage posted to youtube? pfffffft amateur!
  • That'l be Essex then. You get all sorts in Essex.
    'fool'
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I couldn't post the photo, it didn't work. Looks like a French bloke to me but they're GB plates.

A9mLUowCYAAw0AP.jpg

Breton cap, but Essex 'plates (Chelmsford, if Wiki is to be believed).

Look out! He's got a pen!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    And a box of tissues.Tosser.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    He's not going to do himself any favours with the anti-cycling community, complaining about being threatened by an old man with a stoop and a beret. The facts don't matter, it's what it looks like to the great unwashed. Bad move Cav, Tweeting this.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    So... It has come to this. (xkcd reference)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    Drivers with hat on = DANGER!
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    CiB wrote:
    He's not going to do himself any favours with the anti-cycling community, complaining about being threatened by an old man with a stoop and a beret. The facts don't matter, it's what it looks like to the great unwashed. Bad move Cav, Tweeting this.

I don't think he was complaining about being threatened by an old man; I think he was complaining about being run off the road by a car, which was driven by said old man.

+ I don't think it matters what he says/tweets, the bike haters will still hate cyclists & the car haters will still hate drivers.

Anyone know what actually happened?
  • MarkCavendish Just noticed in the photo of my road-rage friend, he looks old & fragile. Can assure you he was far from it. Angry, patronising & aggressive

http://fanpagelist.com/user/markcavendish
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    CiB wrote:

Yup, read the comments on this story, this is what the average bloke in the street thinks of cyclists - even if the cyclist is Mark Cavendish.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling ... 28338.html
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    CiB wrote:

Old man with a stoop out of the car yes but in it probably a complete menace and highly dangerous and possibly lethal.
  • dodgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Yup, read the comments on this story, this is what the average bloke in the street thinks of cyclists - even if the cyclist is Mark Cavendish.

It's really not, it's people who use any story with the word "cyclist" in it to spout their ignorant prejudice, no more representative of the average bloke than Mail comments.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    dodgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:

It's really not, it's people who use any story with the word "cyclist" in it to spout their ignorant prejudice, no more representative of the average bloke than Mail comments.

Yeah, perhaps. Still bugs me to see these commentards come out of the woodwork.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    dodgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Mind you, there is this one:
    Nowadays when some motorists overtake me (when I am driving a car) they nearly drive you into the kerb or ditch, so I can just imagine what some do when they overtake a cyclist! Leave more room please when overtaking a car or cyclist!!
  • What difference does it make how wimpy the old geezer looks if he's in possession of a deadly weapon? If an old dear was roaming the countryside with a Minimi firing random bursts at passers-by would people just say leave her alone?
  • If an old dear was roaming the countryside with a Minimi firing random bursts at passers-by would people just say leave her alone?
    Mini-me.jpg
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If an old dear was roaming the countryside with a Minimi firing random bursts at passers-by would people just say leave her alone?
    minimi0qw.jpg
    FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Yeah, perhaps. Still bugs me to see these commentards come out of the woodwork.
    Which was my point, that Cav tweeting this instantly gives all the brain-deads an opportunity to reboot their brains into default mode and remember a) that they hate cyclists and b) that they can actually dump their brain-spew on various online sites. For all the effort we might put in advancing the cause, their are a hundred times as many who can't wait to repeat some w@nk anecdote about how they were held up for 40 miles by a pair of cyclists and we all should be stood against a wall and shot at.

Better all round if Cav & his mate had just told the old boy in the beret to go stuff himself and then forget about it, rather than twittering it.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Paul E wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Old man with a stoop out of the car yes but in it probably a complete menace and highly dangerous and possibly lethal.
    There was nothing old nor frail about that car.

A bullet from an old muzzleloader can kill you just as dead as one from an AK47
  • CiB
    Ok. I'll try again, with the abridged highlights.

The facts don't matter, it's what it looks like to the great unwashed.

Cav tweeting this instantly gives all the brain-deads an opportunity to remember a) that they hate cyclists and b) that they can actually dump their brain-spew on various online sites. Which they do.

What does / did Cav expect out of this tweet? That an army of people will recognise the old duffer, let the police know and by tomorrow night the old t w @ t be in a cell waiting to make an appearance before the local magistrates? No chance. At the extreme most a policeman will be despatched to get his side of the story and he may just may get a slap on the wrist in the form of 'be more careful around cyclists in future'.

In the meantime cyclists are shown up again as being precious about road space, and yet again have caused a hold up and for good measure attacked some old boy in his car. It doesn't matter how false that impression is, that's what happened as a result. It's a whole pile of chances for those that despise us to justify their dislike and post negative comments or spout their worthless anecdotes in the pub.

As soon as I saw his original tweet (I follow him, my mate Cav :wink: ) it struck me then that no good can come of doing this.

Edit to add that they have a picture of him, his car with reg number clearly visible, and there (at least) two riders so in theory that's a victim and a witness. Go to the police, not encouraging vigilantism on twitter.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    If an old dear was roaming the countryside with a Minimi firing random bursts at passers-by would people just say leave her alone?
    minimi0qw.jpg
    FTFY
    She doesn't look that old.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,772
    Can't see what all the fuss is about. The point was that not only had the chap had "...tried to run [them] off the road...", but then threatened them with going to the police, hence the "... we want him to." comment. As for the 'backlash' that is giving it way too much credit. So some idiots reached for their keyboards and posted some rubbish in the comments section of a website - that's just the daily background noise of the internet isn't it?

Oh, and it's not a beret.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition