SLX Mode shifter (Triple to Double)

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Fitted my new double chainset and I am wanting to convert the shifter from triple to double but I simply can't locate the screw.
They are 2012 SLX shifters.
My chainset came with full instructions for the front drive system and it shows details of how to switch the mode convertor from triple to double.
Just can't see it on my shifter unit.

Cheers

Comments

• Does the shifter actually do it?
  • stevenb
    Do what?
    I'm converting from Triple to Double so essentially I just want to block off 1 x shift.
    Apparently all triple shifters can be done?
  • Yes at the mech, but not all shifters have the mode swap
  • stevenb
    I've bought a double specific XT front mech but just wanted to know if the Shifter needed converting.
    I guess it doesn't then.
    Once I have fitted the front mech if I leave the shifter in the middle position for the small chainring I can use the further position for the outer ring.
    I'm guessing this is correct? :?
  • Yes. Check the shifter manual
  • stevenb
    Cool, thanks.
    Well it's a 50/50 situation.....so if I get it wrong one way then it's the other way. :)
  • stevenb
    Front mech fitted first go without any issues.
    However, my indexing is out on the rear mech.
    I never touched it.
    Just fitted the new XT chain set (double in lieu of SLX triple) so didn't have to fiddle around with the BB.
    I have replaced the SLX rear cassette 11-36 with a XT one also 11-36.
    I have used a small spacer between the cassette and free hub as it was loose on the free hub.
    I have aligned the rear mech with the small sprocket and big sprocket but its the sprockets in between that are jumping.
    Parts are new as I've only ridden the bike once since buying it.
    Am I missing something obvious? :?
  • Can't think why you've changed these bits on a new bike, but anyway. Guess is you've moved the relative position of the sprockets, so just tweak the barrel adjuster and stops a tad.
  • stevenb
    Thanks. I found an excellent You Tube video albeit for a Dura Ace mech but same principles would apply I assume.

Reason for change is I wanted a double chain set bike but my bike was on special offer reduced by a big margin so I bought it and bought the double chain set and mech to convert myself.
    I can now resell the OE parts.
    I am used to a Road bike so getting back into MTBs has been a lesson and a half with all the technological advances.
  • stevenb
    so just tweak the barrel adjuster and stops a tad.

Now sorted. Thanks for the info.
    Being a double and looking at the chain line/angle I can see that using the outer ring and the 7 smallest sprockets works best.
    The larger remaining 3 sprockets are best left for the 26T granny ring.